Door thresholds

Brian R

Is there a door object parameter that provides for door sills (projecting wood trim similar to window sills, or aluminum extrusions) and thresholds? I have been inserting a 1" x 6" ? "floor" object, in order to cover the gap in the wall that shows in plan view between edge of floor slab/face of stud and the outer face of siding, at locations where the door has an exterior step. (If the slab runs through there is no problem) There does not appear to be any such thing in the enumerated Class settings for trim under Object Info., or anywhere else. It would be nice to easily show a traditional exterior sill with extended "horns" 1 inch beyond wide door casings.

• 2 weeks later...

The Ozcad stuff looks like it covers a lot. Aside from the added cost, I wonder if it works with the standard n.america object libraries of Anderson and Marvin windows, or if it replaces them and you lose the product specific advantages?

Re: Robt. Anderson's remark, I use floor structure for threshold so that it is opaque in top plan view and blocks things under. I draw the regular floor slab to a point within exterior walls, usually the first cavitly line at outside, so that floor does not show in exterior elevations/perspectives.

OzCAD's WinDoor only works with WinDoor created doors and windows. You could still use the Andersen and Marvin windows but you would lose the added capabilities that WinDoor provides.

Modelling complex doors and windows with WinDoor is quick and easy so it won't take you that much longer. The capability to do door window combinations, corner windows, bay windows and include elements like frameless glass, glass blocks, louvres, trims etc more than compenstes for the inconvenience.

The clever thing to do is to create your own libraries of doors and windows - each time you create a new one just add it to the appropriate library drawing. Then you can easily re-use them.