resource browser organization

jnr

Robert:

I'm working on a design for a new house in version 10.5. Its frustrating and cumbersome to navagate the browser when many of the resources are not organized by division. For example why are there residential furnishings, office equipment, seat symbols, site plannig files which are not organized by CSI division as most of the rest of the browser? Frankly I think you all need to re-visit how this is organized for architects. It could be done better and with more clarity. I will also post this to the wish list. [Confused]

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The libraries you're describing come in standard VectorWorks, and that's why they're not named according to the CSI MasterFormat divisions, as "mere mortal CAD users" don't know what they are. Feel free to re-name the files; it won't change their functionality in any way.

R:

Seems like this should be part of the modification of the base package specifically for VWArchitect instead of a user defined modification. (The idea being that as a discipline we need to stick standards).

For that matter, why, when creating new classes, especially for projects set up with the setup assitant, are the VWA class standards not an option in the pull down menus?

Also I hope that you all review some of the resource plug-ins for architects. For example, I don't have much use for a DC-10 but I do have a use for HVAC condensers, air handlers, 24" deep refrigerators,etc. I think the divisons could be better organized and the plug-ins more useful. There is clearly a legacy issue here that needs some clean-up (I started with 7.0).

jnr,

I have organized my most commonly used resource sections by adding symbols to the filename. In the Resources folder I make a copy of each resource and rename it with !,#,$,%,& etcetera as the first "letter" of the filename. The OS will then place those files at the top of the resource list where you can quickly find them. The symbols will also be arranged in a specific order similar to the list above (in Windows. The OS will usually place symbols first, then numbers, then letters. You can group similar sections by using the same symbol in the filename. Maybe that will help until NNA makes other arrangements.

JE