Poche Walls

I would like to know how to approach the use of the wall tool to configure walls which are the result of geometric spaces, i.e. classical designed building. The wall separates 2 shaped rooms (a circular room and a square room for instance) but will have an door opening from one to the other. I was hoping to be able to use the door tool to cut the opening.

The issue is the wall that separates the spaces is a chase wall that is curved on one side and flat on the other. How do I go about linking one side of the chase wall to the other so the door tool will cut through it.

It would be one thing if the wall was circular like an object but it is defined by the shaped voids and is a compound shape.

Ah, this is something I would like to know as well. We do quite a lot of refurb work (currently on ACAD) on old barns and listed buildings in the UK, and believe me, there isn't one straight wall in ANY of them.

We usually end up with 3D solids for walls, but can't place a door or window object into them, because it's not a 'Wall'

We looked at ArchiCAD but their 'polygon wall' doesn't allow door/window placement either?

Is there a a way round this in VW 10.5/11?

-JT

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

What you could do is create a thick enough wall that it will completely contain your wavy wall. Insert doors and walls in the appropriate locations. Then draw a 2D profile outline of your wavy wall, extrude it, and 3-D solid intersect the thick wall with it. The holes in the wall from the windows and doors will remain. You can then edit the solid to edit the thick wall if you need to reposition the walls or doors.