Worksheets Database Headers

I am new to VW and I am trying to create a Light and Vent schedule. When I select the Criteria for the Header field for the Actual Area ,=('Space'.'Actual Area'), the program returns a 0 and all fields have a zero. The syntax seems to be the issue but I am trying to follow what appears to be the correct syntax. When I select the field from the Criteria list it returns the following variations which do not seem to work either. I have had similar problems with other worksheets that I was trying to create which fortunately you have already defined.

(Space.'Actual Area')

((Space.'Actual Area'))

(('Space'.'Actual Area'))

Additionally, once this is working, can I input "if-then" functions as database headers to produce calcs based on the Actual Area fields culled into the spreadsheet?

thanks

Greg Randall

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

try using single quotes on the 'Habitable' string. I'm also not sure about your (dollar-sign) absolute references. I know this kind of thing can be done, but there is some finesse. You can email me directly on this issue, and maybe send me a file:

randerson@nemetschek.net

"Mr. Anderson"

Thanks for your reply it helped getting the real parameter name. I am still unclear on the "if-then" issue. The following is the syntax I have put in the Database Header line and the only result that I get is the equation repeated in the subsequent fields.

=if(($H4="Habitable"),$C4*.08,0)

Are the database header fields reserved for data lookup only?

Greg

By "cull" I mean to grab info in one worksheet that meets a given criteria and bring it into another worksheet for use in a different way. For example in the window schedule, I have database fields for the width and height of the frame. From that, in the same worksheet I have created a calculation for the light area and another calculation field for the vent area of the window. Now in a separate worksheet, I want to grab the areas of all windows for a given room ID from the window schedule to sum the areas per room. It is this latter step that I am unable to do.

I am back today. I hit another stumbling block. I am trying to cull data from one worksheet and summarize it in another. Not sure how to do this. Can you shed some light on this? The worksheet I am trying to get info from is a dataworksheet which culls "window records" from the file. This dataworksheet then calcs the areas for light and vent per instance of window record. Then I want to cull that info into a summary worksheet for all windows in each room. I will also do the same for Doors, and eventually cull both door and window summaries for each room into the light and vent schedule. If I place the Summary function in the column for the window schedule location, it summarizes the areas that I need for windows in that room. However, I want this info separated from the Window Schedule proper in a separate table.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

But this is the step that I described four postings above. Try this:

1. Copy the database header row from the window schedule worksheet that you want to "cull" from;

2. Create a new worksheet with the same number of columns;

3. Paste the database header row; now you will have a duplicate of your schedule.

4. Now modify the criteria of the database to show only windows for a particiular room, e.g. something like: =database(R IN ['Window'] & Window.RoomID = '101')

5. Now you should have a window schedule for just that room.

• 4 weeks later...

I have clarified this issue a little bit more. I have created a worksheet, 'Window Schedule', that has all the window info (ie, ID, size [from the record], and calculations for light area and vent area). Now I want to create a separate worksheet, 'Light and Vent', that references 'Window Schedule' to get the info from the calculated columns of light area {'Window Area':P4} and vent area {'Window Area':P5}. To keep both Worksheets the same size and with the same number of rows, both worksheets are database worksheets that refer to the 'Window Record'.ID and 'Window Record'.Location and both are sorted in sequence.

Now to get the calculated values from 'Window Schedule':P3 into 'Light and Vent':D3, I am using an IF statement that compares the ID value in 'Light and Vent':A3 to 'Window Schedule':A3. If true, then the cell references 'Window Schedule':P3. If false, then the cell is ERR.

In spite of the value that is calculate in 'Window Schedule':P3, the IF-Then always returns ERR. Is this because "Window Schedule':P3 is a formula? If so, how do I get its value into 'Light and Vent':D3?