Retaining Wall Modifiers for Existing Site Model

Hi there guys, 

I am using VW 2021 Designer to create an existing site model. I have created the site model from the spot heights taken from the topographical survey (turned into 3D loci). There are many retaining walls on the current site which I am now trying to add in using the Retaining Wall Site Modifier, applying changes to existing site model. 

I seem to be really struggling to get these modifiers to create the level differentials as required. I understand you can set the level at either side of the wall as an offset from the pad. Is it correct the pad should be set at the height of the wall foundation? Also my walls do not always form a contained space, they often are partial and retain parts of the soil, I wonder if this could be causing issues? 

If anyone has experience using retaining wall feature I would greatly appreciate you advice and experience! 

Many thanks

Nick 

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 14.03.22.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 14.21.30.png

Yes generally I think set the Pad to 'Follow Bottom Wall Peaks' without any offsets then set the ground levels either side of the wall using the left + right side modifiers. So on one side of the wall you might set the edge to follow the terrain, then on the other side set an offset of say 50mm down from the top of the wall. It is like a pad with retaining edge modifier. And make sure you use a Grade Limits as well

Hi Tom,

Thanks very much indeed for your reply and advice. I am attaching the outcome of trying to follow those steps, I appreciate I am clearly doing something wrong. 

Steps: 

- Grade limits around the area

- Create retaining wall modifier from polygon

- Offset above wall bottom, follow bottom wall peaks

- Left side follow terrain (this needs to be at approx +6.20m)

- Right side offset above wall bottom, follow bottom wall peaks (I need this to be +4.6m)

- Leave start and end modifier edge unticked

- Change the z value to 4600 to give the +4.6m height level on right edge. 

If you have any suggestions where I need to change something that would be great! 

Many thanks again

Nick 

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 15.24.45.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 15.24.02.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 15.23.18.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 15.23.15.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 15.22.34.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 15.22.17.png

Hi Nick retaining Wall Site Modifiers are designed to be used with Walls, Hardscapes or Extrudes I don't think you can use a 2D Polygon...?

I would draw your walls first, setting their bottom + top offsets appropriately so they are sitting in the terrain the way you want them. I would sink the wall into the site model by whatever depth the foundations would be at. And set the height of the wall to where you want the final ground level to be on the retained side. 

Then select the wall/s + run the command.

41 minutes ago, Nickgreen10 said:

- Left side follow terrain (this needs to be at approx +6.20m)

- Right side offset above wall bottom, follow bottom wall peaks (I need this to be +4.6m)

Basically you need to tell VW how you want the terrain to behave on either side of the wall, so presumably on one side (the outside) you would not modify the site model at all i.e. set this edge to 'Follow Terrain'. Then on the other side, the retaining side, you need to bring the ground up to meet the top of the wall or more likely just below the top e.g. set 'Offset Below Wall Top' to 0 if you want the ground level to be flush with the wall top or to have the soil 50 or 100mm below the top of the wall you'd give it an offset of 50 or 100mm.

But you do need a Wall to begin with

Hi Tom,

You're absolutely right, you very much do need a wall! I was assuming the wall could be draw in 2D as a polygon as the site modifier is indepent of the wall once created, but that is not the case. 

Many thanks for your help, that's has solved the issue! 

Best

Nick 

• Like 1