crash i VW 9.5.3 on MAC OS 10.2.4

On my and on some other machines (both OS 10.2.3 and OS 10.2.4) in our office VW is crashing all the time. My machine is the worst one with crashes every 5 min. We all get a crash log tath looks like this: Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)

Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x0000000c

This tells me that somethig is trying to write in a memory somewhere but is not given permission to do it with the result that VW crash. First we were suspicious about the USB dongle and comunication conflicts between the dongle and other processes in the OS.

But now we are suspecting the graphic card because VW often crashes when we use the zoom and pan commands or working with windows for exampel when we close the application. We have also noticed that we have different versions of the ROM# on our graphic cards. The latest one is working best.

Have anyone seen anything like this before and does anybody know how to prevent these crashing problems?

Have you tried to run the Verify Disk Permissions and Fix Disk Permissions in the Disk Utility First Aid ?

We've seen several cases where crashing under VW 9.5.3 has increased after updating to OS 10.2.4.

Most people have found relief with crashing after fixing any problematic permissions.

Thanks for all help.

I tried to run Verify Disk Permissions and Fix Disk Permissions, and so far it seems like it works. Vectorworks has been up for about 20 hours without any crash.

There is just one thing left to fix. After about one our working vw beginning to slow down, all commands just take more time to do. When this comes we close vw and start it again and viola, its quick again.

But why is it like this?

Patrik,

How much built in memory do you have?

How many other applications are you running while VW is running?

What do you have set for the maximum number of undo's in VW preferences?

My built in memory is 512 MB. We started with 192 MB but vw worked slow and since we noticed that OS X used 128MB of them there was not much left for vw.

Sometimes i run other applications at the same time, mostly mail and iCal. It also happens that I listen to music in iTunes but I cant see any diffrence in speed because of that. Its only when i use internet radio i can see a little difference in speed.

My maximum number of undos is set to 20.

It seems like this slowing down after a while has nothing to do with other applications, all of us here have an experience of it and my neaerest neighbour is of some reason scared about multitasking (even if this should?nt be a problem in OS X) but even he has this slow down problem.

The internet radio is issuing constant read write executions of the CPU. VW is doing the same thing.

As these two compete for the constant and heavy CPU time, one or the other is going to run slower, perhaps both will run a little slower based on the way OS 10 handles mutiple tasks and processes.

Both of these operations, int. radio and VW store items in memory and cache. The more inforamtion stored in cache, the overall speed of the computer will slow down. This is why you notice a difference on restart. Restart clears out all stored cache, maximizing memory usage for applications.

The same thing happens when writing or burning data to a CD either in Itunes or just burning a reg. CD.

VW was a good friend for a few days but now the crashes is back again. I?ve tried to run Verify Disk Permissions and Fix Disk Permissions again but with no result. We are pretty fed up with vw right now. What is this problem? Is it just us fighting with it?

Any good Ideas that can help us? Maybe vw 10 and OS X is better friends?

Help us before another cad application does it.

Patrik,

As stated in the other post to you on the message board, you may need to try and run the combo updater, even though you've already updated.

If you just used the regular update from 10.2.3 to 10.2.4, there are some things that may not have been fixed, or additional problems may have been introduced.

Re-updating using the combo updater (I know it's a huge download), may alleviate some of the issues you are having.

Hi Katie.

Now I hav updated my OS with the combo updater ( I found it on Apple support pages under downloads)

But ... no big suprise, it still crashes. I have again runned the verify and repair disk permissions but with no result.

We are six who working on vw here and we use four 400Mhz G4 power PC and two of us is working on Powerbook 400Mhz G4 titanium. So far everybody have crashing problems but it seems like the powerbooks is doing it better than the power PC:s.

Is this telling you anything.

How much has the workfile size to say in this?

What about the dongle?

Have you heard anything about the graphic card that I mentioned id the first thread?

I must say that I?m impressed over all feedback that I get on this pages/ from you Katie (even if our problem is?nt solved yet )

Patrik

I?m giving it up!

Now I have tried to reinstall OS X and only install vw to avoid conflicts with other software but vw still crash. I?ve checked Apple Support for new grapchic card firmware but they have nothing relased. I?ve also talked to our local apple service but they have never heard of conflicts with the graphic card.

Now I have spent to much of my expensive time trying to solve this problem and i have come to the conclusion that I?m going back to OS 9 and vw 8 that works. The difference is?nt a revulotion so tell me why I should spend time on news that does?nt work. I?m not intrested in if this is an apple or a nemetscheck problem, the thing is that it does?nt work. I?m sorry to say this but I can?t use a tool that does?nt work.

Well if you reinstalled the software and only have VW installed, it is probably something on the computer that is causing the problem.

If this was a universal problem with VW and Apple, we would have had more reports of this problem.

After you installed the OS over, did you update to OS 10.2.4 using the combo updater?

Did you run the verify and fix disk permissions?

Is the crash happening in an existing document or a newly created one?

If you are crashing while vw is performing a task, you can save teh Apple System Profiler File and send it to me. I can take a look at it and see what might have caused the crash.

tech@nemetschek.net

attn: katie

(Include a link to this page)

[ 03-26-2003, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: Katie ]