Printing by outside source

Laurie

I am a relatively new user of VW, one of the last to lay down my lead holder. My drafting on VW has gotten fast but I am still confused about structuring the set. The set I am currently working on is a collection of fifteen separate documents. I would like to send it out to a print shop but I have two problems. First, if I use a print shop which is VW friendly, there is a set up charge for each file (prohibitive with 15 files!)Second, if I use a print shop which isn't VW friendly,do I need to create a plot file in some other program? If so, which programs do you recommend?

OK, I have more than two problems. Is there a way to paste my drawings into a set created by VW? My drawings already have multiple layers which probably have no relationship to the standards in the program. Is it too late for this project?

Lastly, I would love it if you would do a training seminar on this and other issues related specifically to architecture.

Thanks

Laurie,

If you are going to work with a print shop that is using VW Viewer for printing purposes, you will need to send each VW file as an individual file.

If you use a print burau that does not have VW Viewer for printing purposes and will not use it, you can share files in a number of ways. Exporting a VW file as an image or PDF is one option, creating a print/plot or PS file is another.

You can export as an image file directly from VW. If you have a PDF writer such as Adobe Distiller, you can use that to generate a PDF file.

To create a post script, print or plot file, you will need to have a printer driver/PPD (mac) on your computer allowing to do so.

OS 10 on Mac has a print to PS option built in.

OTherwise, you will need to have a printer installed that allows you to create print files. One printer we strongly suggest using for this is the HP Design Jet 755.

Install this on the computer. Go to your file and thru Page Setup, select the 755 and the correct page size.

Go to the Page menu and select Set Print Area. Make sure this is set to ONE PAGE.

Make sure everything is where it should be and go to File Print.

If you are on a PC there is a checkmark box in the upper right hand corner that says Print to File. Checkmark that and click on Print/Save.

This will create the post script print file.

If you are on a Mac OS 9, go to file> print.

Ther is a drop down box in the upper right hand corner called Destination. Be default, this is set to Printer. Change this to "File" and click on Save.

Save the file.

If you are on OS 10 - go to File Print. From the drop down box in the middle of the box, select OUTPUT. Select Print to File and click on Save.

Save the file.

The output file can then be emailed or sent on disk to a print service for printing.

Please note, if you have multiple sheets, you will need to create a new print file for each sheet. Likewise with multiple files.

i would suggest that you never, ever, send you VW files out to printers, or anyone, even if they are VW friendly. These files belong to the architect, and once you send them can be used or manipulated at will. Plus, with PDF's, the image you save is the image they will print. VW files may have errors, or be misread by the copy operator which can cause unecessary printing errors and a waste of paper and money.

still PDF is in most cases the way to go.

a- you can proof the output on a printer you have in the office, even just at a small size, before sending in.

b- can you lock it so it can't be altered, yes someone using viewing to print file can't change the file. but... anyone with full version can.

c- most print services in australia, and guess by your comment on a file fee, charge to process a file before printing, PDF is usaully the cheapest or including in the print price. so the acrobat will pay for itself on that first 15 sheet job.

d- PDF files tend to be smaller too.

it has offer advantages in other situations. if your consultants, or clients have acrobat that can not only look at the file, or print it, but can mark over the file on screen, make notes that are colour coded to them. while still allowing your orginal to be printed.

oh the other one. PDF files are linkable so it's possible to do a transmittal file, that if you click on the drawing name will open that drawing file.

one hint using PDF,because it can be scaled to any paper size it's always best to have a scale bar on the drawing. or a note at paper size as part of the scale note in title block.