Extrusion at Odd Angles

I am an artist and I am trying to subtract and add solids from each other at odd angles. However, if I draw a circles then try to extrude them they always remain in on the Top/Plan plane. I am trying to have them intersect at strange angles. I imagine there is a default I need to turn off.

Something like this pool noodle arrangement?

Create a column from a circle of the desired diameter with the centre of the circle at location 0,0

and then extrude it to the desired length. Change your view to front or right side (use the keypad 2 or 6 respectively). Rotate the column from the 0,0 origin down to the desired angle. Change the 3d view back to plan view (keypad 5 or 0) and rotate the leaning tower in the desired direction. Finally move it into the desired 3d location. In the object illustrated I tilted and rotated four columns and then did a circular duplicate about the origin of 7 copies at 45 degrees. Did a solid addition to everything and finally created a hemisphere to act as a clip by intersecting the two objects.

What you see here is a view from below.

PoolNoodles.thumb.png.8282907defd46665a86cb833e059f610.png

Edited by LarryO
a sentence was missing.

Extrusions are always directly into the screen. So if you are in a view other than Top/Plan when you extrude it will extrude "into" the view you are in. Assuming that the object is Screen Plane.

In many cases it is easier to just extrude them and then switch to Front/Back/Left/Right/Top/Bottom views and use the rotate tool to move them to the angle and location you want after you create the extrudes.