more auto classing hell

jnr

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

jnr, are you saying that the wall class defined in the wall style is 'Wall-Ext-Veneer' and the class assigned to the wall by the Wall Type Tool is 'Wall-Int-Full'? This obviously should not happen. I unfortunately can't reproduce your exact situation without all your external preferences files. Please re-check that the wall style you are using has the desired class.

Robert:

Yes. For a scripted drawing using the setup assistant, if I use the wall tool, and choose say a simple 2x4 stud wall draw it, it defaults to wall-int-full. If I then use the wall tool again and select say a brick veneer over 8" cmu, and draw the wall, it puts the brick/cmu wall on the wall-int-full class and not where it is supposed to go on the wall-ext-veneer class.

Why? why does it default to the wall-int-full class and NOT AUTO-CLASS to its supposed assigned class?

This did not happen in 8.5.2

jnr, I have tried to reproduce your problem but don't observe it happening. Here's what I do:

In a document set up with Setup Assistant, I do the following:

1. Menu command: Select Wall type;2. SWT Dialog: push 'Add' button;3. New Wall Type dialog: choose 'Wall-Ext-Veneer' from the 'Assign to Existing Class' dialog; fill out other settings appropriate to a brick-on-CMU wall;4. Click OK;5. SWT Dialog: select newly-created wall type, click OK;6. Back in document: Use Wall Type tool and draw serveral of these walls;7. With wall selected, look in Object Info palette. Walls are 'Wall-Ext-Veneer' as expected.

Robert:

I understand how to create new wall types. However NNA has gone to the effort of creating a library of wall types built in to the program. When I select a "cavity7 5/8" cmu w/brick" the least it could do would be to use the default class (which is how NNA has left the default settings for the wall) in this case I have "none" set as my current class. When drawn, the wall still defaults to the wall-int-full class and not the default class or what 8.5 used to assign the wall-ext-veneer class.

Robert:

Here's some more.

Just for kicks I have tried to draw different wall types from the list provided by NNA. They are inconsistent. A 1/4" glass wall defaults to an interior wall instead of a glazed wall class or a 2-hr rated wall with type x I would think would default to the wall-fire class. If I draw the brick with cmu veneer wall, in one instance it puts it on the wall-int-full class, the next time on the wall-ext-veneer class. However it is inconsistent. One never knows which class it is going to default to. This is extremely irritating.

Now you're describing a different problem. In the posts above I asked if a wall was drawn in a class different to the one explicitly assigned to it. That is what I tested, and this did not occur. Now you're saying that the problem occurs when the wall type has type has the class <<default>> set. I'm able to reproduce this, and will enter it in the bug list. The workaround for this is to enter an explicit class in your wall type, as the <<default>> entry seems not to work.