Symbol Record confusion

I've read the manual, and I've done a search here, but I can't seem to get the Record thing right.

I've created a 3D symbol.

I've created a record format.

I've attached the record format to the symbol definition and edited the values to give the information I want to that symbol. so far so good. Now; if I place an instance of that symbol in the drg, the record format is attached, but the record is not. All the fields are empty.

I've tried making the object, then attaching the format, then editing the fields, then creating the symbol.

I've tried making the object, making the symbol then editing the symbol to attach the format. etc

Either way, no show.

Think cupboards; I want to produce a report that lists and counts the variations of the cupboard units; 2No 600 wide drawer units, 4 No 900 wide door units, 2 No 1200 wide door units. etc etc

what am I missing ??

N.

Nicholas,

Edit the symbol and deselect the items selected in the Edit window. Now attach the record and fill in all the data.

If you have an item(s) selected while in edit symbol and try to attach a record, the record and the data attaches to that specific instance of objects, not the symbol definition.

Thanks again Katie.

The next thing is counting them.

If I use Create Report, and Summarise Items with the Same.... I have 3 problems:

I cant summarise items that have more than 1 thing in common (eg width and type),

It summarises everything including the sizes (ie it adds them all up), and,

it doesn't count the items.

Is Create Report the wrong thing to be using here?

Update:

I've been reading and re reading the Manual chapter on worksheets, but I've not used spredsheets before and I can't make sense of this at all. all I want to do at the moment is to create a count of the symbols that have a number of records in common. Can any body help?

cheers,

N.

[ 03-10-2006, 03:27 AM: Message edited by: propstuff ]

Worksheets can be very confusing... especially trying to harvest out the datasets:

Begin by Set row > spreadsheet > then select the first column cell and type ' =Count() ', then select inside the parentheses to set the criteria and goto ' Paste Criteria' then use 'choices' and then add 'more choices' to drill down from container to container , macro>micro ... to the specific instance of the Record.Field' ' ... etc.

Select the 'In Symbols' and enter.

You can then edit this search criteria as required. Sometimes it takes a couple of attempts to get the correct syntax for the search.

Good luck...

Thanks EJ,

not much joy here still.

-

In order to simplify the counting, I added a new field (type) to categorise the various combinations of sizes and styles. All I need to do then is make a count of the various (record field) types and put it in the highlighted section shown above.

If I do as you said and put the COUNT(...) function in the A column of the top row I can only count 1 Type, not each of the Types.

This has GOT to be something simple. Doesn't it??

{:-/

N.

[ 03-12-2006, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: propstuff ]

I don't have records attached to most symbols In a recent project I created symbols of all the portable panels used to create an exhibition stand.

By going to "create report" I could easily choose "symbols" as my criteria, and "summerize items with same" and get an accurate count of all the relevant panels within the design. the first line gave me the total then the remainder the number of each symbols in the drawing, so giving me the quantity of each panel to order from hire stock.

I've done nothing to the worksheet default settings.

First column sayes and shows symbol name, second column sayes quantity and gives me each symbols totals in the drawing.

Sounds like you want to do something similiar but as a manufacturing quantity list.

I'm on Windows XP running VW10.5.

I'm sure you'll crack it.

Alan

Hi Alan,

It's curious, If you choose the "List all: Symbol" you get to count them, but if you choose "List all: ...Record" you don't get the option to count anything. However;...

I made a report summarising symbols and noted that if the Database header cell for Quantity is selected, the formula bar at the top of the worksheet contained a solitary digit "1". So, I opened my worksheet and entered "1" for the appropriate cell.

Well, whadayaknow.

I wouldn't have ever imagined the the numeral 1 would mean "count ".

I've got a printout of Chapter18: Worksheets in front of me, but I can't find any reference to this.

Can someone at NNA point me to the part of the documentation that refers to this function?

-

Note also that the cell has counted the total number (16) of all the items; as has the database headers of all the other columns even though their "formulas" are all different. Is this "normal"?

N.

[ 03-12-2006, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: propstuff ]