beware of viewport update!

in VW12: If you use live sections and edit/annotations - make sure you exit the "edit viewport annotation" before updating the viewports. Otherwise the viewport will be corrupt. Anyway that is what happened to me several times beeing to much in a hurry...

Recreating the viewport is easy, but still not what was the idea.

Well, .....

I'm not sure anymore if there is a problem.

This happened several times in a document I actually spent a few days working on.

I tried to reproduce the problem on a copy of it, but without success. It's like going to the doctor - the pain is gone the moment you enter his door.

But there is still something bothering, though only in this actual document:

When going from Viewport in annotation mode(forgot leaving annotation mode) to a Saved View(bottom left) - moved an object in the drawing - then returned to the Viewport > View > Update all viewports, the Viewport was updated, but the cursor, the watch symbol and occasionally the mac spinning symbol started wrestling and fighting to be on my screen*. That is usually a sign that the saving operation is having problems.

The result i ok though - so I don't understand what is or was happening.

Last time the corrupted Viewport seamed to have been mixed-up with other viewports, showing parts of the drawing that should not be presented in this Viewport.

Anyway, I'll get back if the problems arises again.

* I mean switchin really fast, like 10-15 times per second - not the more controlled way once or twice.

[ 01-27-2006, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: bonus ]

As we are talking viewports...

I have still not found the reason why the section markers created in top/plan in a design layer using >View>Create Section Viewport don't show in the Viewport created from the same design layer using(rectangle object used as crop)>View>Create Viewport.

Everyting else shows, 2D and 3D. Just the markers aren't there.

(Topic previously answered once by Katie/NAA - but no further replies.)

To me there is still something disturbing with the viewports...

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Section lines automatically show up on the design layer or the viewport on which you invoked the Create Section Viewport command.

All other imstances of section lines have to be deliberately added using the Section line Instances dialog that is invoked when you press Section Line Instances button in the object info palette. You need to turn the section line drawing ON in specific viewports or design layers.