Importing dxf/dwg, Standard Viewports &Task Manager?

I am really struggling with Task Manager after importing an AutoCad file. I think I have a good understanding of the "intent" behind the layers, classes, viewports, etc. but when I import a DWG to a blank base, create my standard viewports and classes and then try to use it as base data on which to begin to build a land plan, hardscape or planting plan I become lost trying to use Task Manager. Every time I go to Task Manager it blocks out my base map or I don't find the obvious task like Annotating Design Layers. If I want to do a one sheet Site Plan in the preliminary stages of a project I don't understand how to get Task Manager to generate the necessary options and I seem to revert back to modify layers or screwing around with the visibility of each only to waste another day. There are a lot of questions I have related to this effort. Is there a training manual specific to this or some other avenue where I can turn to for help?

additionally, when I work back and forth between layers it seems that the class visability rests so that my base layer information has disappeared again..so I rest all calsses to visable (haven't drawn anything new yet)and continue on. As soon as I try and use Task Manager again I'm back to a blank screen. I've gone through Modify Classes assigning all AutoCad info to VW classes and I'm SOL with Task Manager...thats when I get bogged down for hours trying to manuliate classes. All the time I have no idea what my Standard Viewports will show. Sometimes they show nothing, or part of my new info. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

When I started to work with Landmark I dutifully read the Manual and worked through it step by step. I used the Task Manager set-up as instructed and proceeded to make a DTM.

The result looked and behaved nothing like the manual said it would, and after many different tries it still didn't.

After a LOT of problem solving (read; money down the drain)I worked out that the Task Manager used a spreadsheet in the bowels of the program (I can't remember where)to control the sheet layer and class visibility; and after examining that, it was obvious that the visibility settings (and therefore the Sheet behaviour) that it produced would not produce what the Manual said the TM would.

Bottom line: unless you want to go searching for the spreadsheet and re-set it, the TM won't work properly for at least some of the functions of Landmark.

I decided that the "convenience" of the TM, was not worth the time wasting and set up my own set of layers classes and sheets to use as a template.

N.

quote:

Originally posted by stmlandplan:

that is when importing files in which others have already defined a class structure then don't bother with TM.

What pissed me off was that the Landmark didn't work with the class structure that the Task Manager had defined. }:-(

It seems I'm not infallible ;-) perhaps I missed something in the Manual, but I don't think so. Another example of unsatisfactory VW documentation and a tool that doesn't do what it's supposed to.

good luck.

N.

[ 08-01-2004, 03:29 AM: Message edited by: propstuff ]