Command vs. Script

I've recentlly had a problem getting my custom selection command scripts to work properly.

ISLANDMON has told me how to do a fix-a-round the problem but it seems to me that this should not have to be fixed in the first place.

In VW 10.5 I would create a script using the custom selection tool and would choose "create a script", and everyting worked fine.

Now I open VW11 and the commands do not work, I get an "error: right parenthesis expected" message.

I then try to re-create the script using the smae tool in vw11 but the command is not listed as a script and it still gives me the same error.

Does ANYBODY else have this problem?? Is this a bug?? Can I fix this problen or do I have to "fix-a-round" everytime??

"but the command is not listed as a script"

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you making menu commands with the plugin editor from the scripts created by custom selection tool? Copy and Paste?..

What happens if you create the script and double click it in the script palette?

It occurs to me that your problem may have more to do with migrating custom plug-ins to your new instal. Most scripts of this type from earlier versions will run fine in the newest.

Also, it might be helpful to post a copy of an offending script.

I've never had problems with scripts created by custom selection, but I've seen this message countless times while writing my own :-)

Regards

Charles

[ 09-06-2005, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: ccroft ]

Well, I'm not writing my own... I am using the "custom Selection" menu tool and choosing the "create script" option at the end. I've used this countless times. But now when I open a VW 10.5 drawing into 11.0 I get the above error message.

In VW 10 when I created this "command" it was lsited as a command in the Resource browser and showed up in the command pallett but now after createing the "selection Command" it is listed as a script and does not select anything when activated.

is this a bug??

Selection scripts/commands that I make in 11.5 work as expected. Double clicking the thing in either the resource palette or the script palette (available in the menu under "Window") activates the script/command and selects the objects that meet the criteria.

Have you tested this with a very simple example? E.G: create an empty new drawing, draw a rectangle, create a script that selects rectangles and see if it works. If it does then there may be something wrong with your imported drawing or your criteria.

Are you still getting the error message?

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.