MultiCell Help

Jake Fine

Hi All,

Working on a drawing where I need to change my cyc units from being 4-cells to being 6-cells. All the cyc unit sets have been converted to multi-circuits. Is there a way to un-convert to multi-circuit and be able to split them all apart again? Alternatively, is there a way to edit the layout of a multi-circuit? I tried replacing an end unit with a middle unit, which worked, but then there is a little gap between the units and when I grab the unit to try and nudge it into place, the whole multi-cell moves and I can't close the gap to make it aesthetically pleasing. 

The only reason I am trying so hard to make this work is that there are a lot of units that already have a lot of data that I don't want to have to hand copy over. 

Thanks!

There is no good way to do this, and being able to swap out multicells is towards the top of my wishlist. 

Your best bet is to redraw the position and use LW to transfer the data. Either keep both versions and copy/paste data, then delete the old version, or turn off data exchange, export instrument data (only the fields you use to do a match), then merge into LW, matching by either position/unit number or by channel. This will get new Spotlight IDs into LW, at which point you can resume data exchange. 

I actually figured out another way around this. I started doing symbol swaps, making an end a center or vice versa depending on what I needed to complete the appropriate cell count. I then discovered that you can redefine multi-cells by telling only certain cells of an existing multi-cell to be their own multi-cell. 

For Example:

I have three four-cells that I want to become 2 six-cells

1|2|3|4   1|2|3|4   1|2|3|4

So I changed cell 4 of the first unit to a middle, cell 1 of the second unit to a middle, and cell 2 of the second unit to an end, and align the 1 and 2 units to the 4 of the previous set. But because of the change of cell type, there is a gap between cell 3 and cell 4. So I made cells 4, 1, 2 into their own multi-cell and now have:

1|2|3   4|1|2   3|4  1|2|3|4

Then I can align them to the first section and make all six a multi-cell

1|2|3|4|1|2   3|4   1|2|3|4

Next cell 3 becomes an end, cell 4 becomes a middle, and cell 1 becomes a middle and I snug 3/4 up to the remaining group and make them all one big multi-cell.

1|2|3|4|5|6   3|4|1|2|3|4 

This also works to isolate a single cell, you just make the other cells it is associated with their own multi-cell and it will make the last one a solo cell and you can realign it however you need. 

Hope this helps!

JF