New install wont open

Sw33tishpenguin

Question

Hi all, very new to this so i'll make it quick. A friend gave me the version 12 they were not using and i put the three cd's in and installed them. At the end my computer restarts but i can't actually open VW. I also have a USB drive that they gave me but the driver wont install. I am assuming it's the dongle? Not sure what to do from here so hopefully someone can help. Thank you in advance for any suggestions or advice. 

2 answers to this question

Welcome to the forum.

Wow.  A dongled version 12 on CDs!  Those were the days.

Version 12 came out in 2005 or 6 ish.  And I think in those days there were different install discs for Mac and PC.

I think you have 2 problems:  

1) v12 might not run well on a modern computer.  You might need a windows machine running XP or a Mac running 10.1 or 10.2 ish.  I remember a lot of issues back in those days with keeping the exact version of Quicktime and never updating it.

2)  I think the company that made the dongles and the drivers may be gone.  Check out this thread.  The link is 403.

3 problems:  the people working tech support were in grade school when this came out 🙂

I think you'll have a lot more success with the free evaluation version of 2019.