In the place plant cluster tool how do you stop the line from curving ?

Viper x

Using version 10.5 on xp pro.

When I go to draw a shape for a cluster of plants using the place plant tool how do I stop the line from curving and continuing to curve, I want to draw straight lines to form a box or rectangle of plants but the line won't allow me to de this, it moves like a fly fishing rod !

This was not a problem in other versions.

I am sure it is me but any ideas please

Viper x

[ 10-02-2003, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: Viper x ]

After selecting cluster and clicking ok, BEFORE you click in the drawing to start drawing the polyline, either use the U key to toggle back to the straight line mode polyline in the mode bar OR click on the straight line mode bar button.

Then you should be able to draw straight lines.

Katie, don't move, where is the straight line mode bar button please ?

Yes and I am not very experienced [Eek!]

I just tried the U Key approach and it still flew like a fishing rod ! [Eek!]

I have clicked on the "corner vertex mode" for the ployline tool but the line still curves all over the place, is this the "straight line tool you are talking about "

Thanks Viper x

[ 10-02-2003, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Viper x ]

quote:

Originally posted by Robert Anderson:

When you are entering points in a polyline or a path object (such as the Plant object) you need to click and release for each point. If you click and drag, you will get a bezier point (like the fly-fishing rod, that's a good description).

Bingo ! thanks Robert and Katie, am I losing it but is this movement different in 10.5 ?

Viper x

That's not new behaviour. It sounds to me somehow, you switched modes from straight line to one of the curves, probably by accident and with the U key.

If you take a look at the mode bar with a tool selected, you'll notice hitting the u key a few times changes the modes. The second set of modes is controleld by the i key, the thir by th o key and for a few tools, the fourth set of modes with the p key.

Any tool or command that uses "poly" in the name, the line is going to be drawn using polyline options. In other words, the polyline tool is embded within the function for you to draw the various polyline shapes.

If you take a look at the VW user's guide on page 6-30, you'll see the mode bar the top of the page for the polyline tool. Notice how the first mode is straight, second is bezier, cubic and arc. Hitting the u key one time will take you from straight line to bezier vertex, twice to cubic and 3 times to arc. If you are currently on bezier for example, you'll need to hit the u key 3 times to get back to straight or simply click with the mouse on the straight line mode.

Does that help?