Carbon Footprint

As 'most' of us know, we are in crisis of epic proportions.  Our carbon output is not declining rapidly enough to ensure a comfortable existence for future generations on this planet.  The AEC industry is playing a huge part in this.  I would like to propose a project to bring AEC software design to the table of solutions.  in Vectorworks the Energos energy analysis tools are useful for the total energy consumption of buildings.  What we need now however is a system not unlike the water use budgeting in the Irrigation module that works with the carbon footprint of the materials we use.  Steel and concrete are the two major carbon outputs in terms of our work and we will have to make drastic changes in how much of these materials we use if we are to make any impact.  This is something that Vectorworks could be at the forefront of.  

I would like to be able to produce a spreadsheet of materials used on a project that roughly calculates the carbon imprint it will make.  Once this type of module is in place project codl easily compete for greater good.  

If Vectorworks isn't interested the we will need the community of Python coders to help out with this.  I'd love to get this started so any input here is highly valued.

Lane Goodkind

Landscape Architect

• Like 1
  • Love 1