Viewport Question

Please excuse this question if it has been asked before (just point me in the direction of the correct thread!)

I have just upgraded to v11 and think that viewports are pretty cool but I am having a couple of problems:

1. I would just like to make a viewport of a selected region of a drawing(at 3"=1'). The rest of my drawing is at 1/4"=1'. Is there a way to show the whole drawing on the design layer + the detail viewport? Or do I have to put the rest of the drawing in its own viewport? Currently I have everything else in its own viewport!

2. Relative to this, I cropped the detail viewport using an ellipse and it came out fine. But when I show the whole drawing there is not a "matching" ellipse to show where the viewport came from on the main drawing. Do I draw this ellipse in on the design layer or in the viewport of the main drawing?

3. Lastly, I made a view port of my border and titleblock (see #1 above!). When I show the whole sheet layer with all three viewports (main drawing, detail and border/titleblock), I still see, way zoomed out, my original design sheet with the border and titleblock still visible...just VERY TINY! I tried to make it invisible in the Design layers setup, but it is still there!

Any help would be appreiciated!

Thanks,

[ 12-04-2004, 07:50 AM: Message edited by: td4stage ]

Hi Patrick, I understand exactly what you are going through. I was there myself a while back. There are a couple things you'll need to understand: Viewports can only exist on Sheet Layers, and Sheet Layers are always in 1:1 scale. Robert Anderson told me to use a sheet layer as if it were a sheet of paper, onto which you place different objects, symbols, viewports, etc. Additionally it seems to work best if you make yourself a Title Block symbol in 1:1 scale. This can be inserted full size onto a sheet layer. You can also draw anything you want on a sheet layer (but remember, it will be in 1:1). And also remember that you can put multiple viewports onto a sheet layer, each with its own scale and its own class/layer/graphic attributes and settings. So, getting to your specific questions: 1) Draw your plan in 1/4", or whatever is comfortable for you. Since most of my output is in 1/4" I find it is easier to get the graphics right in the viewport if it is also in 1/4". Make a viewport of the whole drawing (and keep a copy of the object used to make the viewport border if it will be relevant later!). Put this viewport on a sheet layer. Then go back and make another viewport of the detail (3") and put it on the same sheet layer, but set the scale of the viewport to whatever you need to. 2) Again, yes use your ellipse to crop the viewport, but before doing the create viewport command make a copy of the ellipse. Either leave it in the design layer, or paste it over the appropriate spot in the viewport. If you want you can put this shape in its own class so that you can have control over its visibility in various different places. 3) I think I already covered this (see above). OK, now that you have your Sheet Layer with Viewports and a Title Block symbol, use the Viewport Annotations to "dress up" each viewport. For example you can dimension (at scale) in the Annotations. The annotations of a viewport live with that viewport (in other words, if you move the viewport, the annotations will go along.) I know this is lot to wrap your brain around, but hopefully this helps! Please post back if you need more help...