Automatic Working Plane does not work

Pavla

Question

I have a fairly complex 3D model of a building however the automatic working plane and push / pull tool does not work. 

When I open a new file and draw something in 3d these tools work perfectly. 

How can I get these tools to work in my original file or is it a bug in the software? 

I'm using vectorworks 2018 sp4.

Thank you.

2 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

We've identified a few different types of objects, many of them related to BIMObjects, that can cause this. The workaround until the bugs can be fixed is normally to move the geometry to modify into another file, make the needed push/pull changes, then place the object back in the original. It can also help to minimize the number of classes and layers visible in the original file during editing, increasing the chance of hiding one of the objects that is conflicting with push/pull.

Thanks for your response Jim. I have tried copying this across another file but now the same problem is starting to occur. 

What I have realised is that the Automatic Working Plane when the object is a 'smart' or BIMObject like a Wall or a Slab, does work. 

But when it is a custom object/extrude, even a simple cuboid for example, then the automatic working plane will not work with these objects. 

So it is a 'hit and miss' at the moment for which 3D objects these tools will work. The fact that these tools do not work now in any file, new or old, with my custom geometry is highly frustrating and making using Vectorworks to generate my model, quite redundant. 

I attach a small snippet of my file as an example (which is very much work in progress), but you can see how these tools are not responding.

Thanks

VWX 2018, SP4

Example.vwx