Out of Memory

Hi, I am using VW10 on OSX 10.3.4, at an education institute, over a server.

I am trying to import jpeg files to use as image props, and am now receiving an out of memory mesaage. I have at least 50 image props so far - is there a limit to the number of image props, or do I need to allocate more memory - if so how?

Thanks

HOw much bult in memory do you have on the computer?

The images are being converted to bitmaps, so if you have 50 bitmap images in a cad file, the document is probably so large that the amount of memory on the computer can't handle it.

The computer I am using is a Power Mac G5, 2Gb ram, with 120 Gb Hard Drive. I also have 3 out 5Gb allocated to me on the server. The file I am working on is 5.6Mb, quite small I thought as I have worked on 20Mb files, with VW9 on Mac OS9 on a G3 in the past. A colleague of mine has worked on a 100Mb file, albeit slowly...

I am about to upgrade memory in my iMac and have been studying up on how OSX handles memory. As I understand we should never get an "out of memory" error message. Unix will automatically allocate RAM until it runs out then allocate VM to the disk and page memory.

Under finder select the GO menu to Utilities Folder and find Activity Monitor. This will show you your systems memory usage and VM allocation.

If we run out of memory we should see a big slow down but not an error message.

Right??? Wrong??? Katie???

Larry

I would have thought the same LarryAZ. But the file has not slowed down at all - it is extremely efficent. However, still I cannot import any more raster images for image props, or to use for my own textures. Importing textures from the VW libraries does still work . I am not sure what the issue is. It may be that I am using an 'education' version, and that this is just one of the limitations. Hopefully we can clarify this after the weekend!

Thanks