TrendMicro OfficeScan VW 2018 crashing

mlangmeier

Question

Hello we have been trying to determine why VW keeps crashing throughout the day.  We are experiencing at least 3-4 crashes each day on every machine.  We have open support tickets and the most recent communication we received stated that we should remove our anitivirus application TrendMicro OfficeScan v12 SP1.  They referred us to this KB link.  https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/articles.html/articles/trend-micro-security-agent-incompatibility-r760/

I did a little more digging and found references to multiple A/V applications causing VW to crash all the way back to 2006!  I think this is a complete cop-out by VW.  Why isn't VW re-writing the application to avoid the type of behaviour that the A/V and security software is seeing as malicious.  The issue isn't with the A/V software its with VW!  Has anyone experienced this issue and if so, how did you go about resolving it.  The organization cannot go without A/V protection.  We have tried to exclude the application and the program file folders from being scanned but that has not prevented VW from crashing.

3 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
4 minutes ago, mlangmeier said:

I think this is a complete cop-out by VW.  Why isn't VW re-writing the application to avoid the type of behaviour that the A/V and security software is seeing as malicious.

Because the behavior AV software sees as malicious is often large disk writes or high processor usage, both things that a professional drafting application could never be rewritten to avoid. When we encounter these incompatibilities we reach out to the AV developer and explain what goes wrong, and very often they correct the issue. The articles are left up in case users of older versions encounter problems.

Trendmicro specifically instructed us to have our users contact them directly, they were unwilling to work with us on a larger scale solution.

32 minutes ago, JimW said:

Because the behavior AV software sees as malicious is often large disk writes or high processor usage, both things that a professional drafting application could never be rewritten to avoid.

Thank you for your response JimW, however, I still see this as a VW issue as we do not see this issue with any of the other numerous applications that we use on a daily basis. Why don't we experience the same issue with Revit, AutoCAD, 3D Studio MAX, Maya, Civil3D, Edgewise, CloudWorx, Cyclone, Trueview, etc.  All of these applications use a huge amount of CPU, memory, and disk I/O.

I will open a ticket with Trend support but VW needs to pay attention to this fundamental issue and create a solution for it.  I will update this thread once I get a response / solution from Trend.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
8 minutes ago, mlangmeier said:

I will open a ticket with Trend support but VW needs to pay attention to this fundamental issue and create a solution for it.  I will update this thread once I get a response / solution from Trend.

If TrendMicro changes their position and decides to work with us, we will be able to do something about it. We require their cooperation and so far they simply want those users referred to them, which we don't like having to do.