Opening files through MS Windows

Does anybody know why I cannot open any vectorworks 11 files by double-clicking on them in MS Windows 2000 ?

This is becoming really frustrating !

All of my other software does this with out any problems - which leads me to believe I may be missing a setting somewhere or something similar.

I always open VW files that way. It's set up automatically when you install the program. I haven't got v11 yet, but 8, 9, and 10 worked that way.

You might be able to correct it by right-clicking on a .MCD file and selecting "Open With.." and then selecting VW from the list of files or by Browsing. If you check the box next to "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file", it's supposed to make all future double-clicks of that filename extension open with the selected program.

But that doesn't always work with VW, because of an override they built in to handle the problem of multiple versions. When you have more than one version of VW installed, the program pops up a window to ask whether you want to use this version to open .MCD files. That choice goes away when you check "Do not show this dialog again", and unfortunately there's no way to get it back without re-installing the program.

Thanks for your tips jan15.

I tried this and unfortunately it still does not work.

We have licences for 3 machines - 2 x Windows 2000 + 1 x Windows XP.

It works fine on the XP machine, but it will not work on the 2000 machines ?

If I go to the [tools - folder options - file types] menu and then click the 'advanced' button for the mcd file type (which is regeistered as a Vectorworks document) it has [open] & [print] in the actions box and open is set to default.

I hope somebody can help as this is really starting to bug me !

I had Windows 2000pro for a long time, and never had any problem with double-clicking on MCD files.

I've never before used that "Advanced" button you spoke of, but I tried it after reading your post, and didn't see the word "default" anywhere. On my machine, the box labelled "Application used to perform action" (in the editing window for the action called "Open") gives the full path and filename of the .EXE file, all in quotes, followed by "%1"

There was an earlier discussion of this at http://techboard.nemetschek.net/cgi/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=002539

but that didn't help me much. If I were in that position again I would just remove and re-install VW.

Thanks again jan15,

I have checked the "Application used to perform action" box and it has correct path and filename.

I am still unsure as to whether this a Winodws or Vectorworks problem.

All three copies of Vectorworks where installed about 3 weeks ago. We all have access to the same stationary files and drawing files from a shared folder on the server. Yet Windows XP works correctly but, Windows 2000 won't, and never has ?

The default I spoke of is actually a button just to the right hand side of the actions window which is labeled 'set as default'. You highlight the action you want to be the default and then click this button. The action tect then becomes bold.

Thanks again and I will keep trying - If I find a solution (other than re-installing) I will let you know.