Camera Match and size of background Picture

Hi there,

I just started to use the Camera Match function (VW 2018). I need to show a new fence in front of a house (part of a landscape project). Everything seems to go on well - placing a reference point in the design layer, choosing a photo as a Camera Match object (through the annotation panel of the viewport) and setting up the control lines and the reference on that photo, providing a field measure for one of the lines.

But whatever the numerous tries, I always get the same message when clicking on the "Set View to match" button, warning that the size of the photo is too big for Vectorworks to calculate the perspective. I resized the photo (it fits in the  page layout) but I keep having this message and I'm stuck there...

Can anybody help, please ?Baumann_PRO_v1_v2018.vwx

Baumann_PRO_v1_v2018.vwx

SAM_5704_25_18,76.JPG

Hi Matt,

Thank you for this quick answer. Actually, the image file I sent with my first message is the one I imported (I resized it before importing it, as I thought the very first original size might be the cause of the trouble).

The import options I used were the standard ones (I left the luminosité set at 30%, selected the reference point). I just changed the style of the control lines.

What bothers me also is that once the photo (Camera Match object) is imported, I do not see the "face panels" (red and green) but just a huge vertical red line accross the page (this line disapears when I deselect the option "Camera match preview object". And when I click on the reference point cursor on the photo it stays green (doesn't turn red as it should). This makes me think I am maybe not placing the reference point correctly on my design model as well. By the way, how do we delete reference points ?

Are these details of any help to you, Matt ?

Maria Pessin

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Maria,

Ok, thanks. It turns out not to be an issue with the photo image or Camera Match object. I looked closer at your file and wondered why the Reference objects had no left and right vanishing point controls (green and red lines) in Top/Plan view. I tried place a new one and got the same result. Somehow the defaults for the Reference object got changed so that these controls were zero distance from the Camera Match Reference point. Not only did this make it hard to find these objects, it also caused them to lose the left and right vanishing point directions. I fixed this in your file. You will now see these objects easier in Top/Plan and newly placed Reference objects should behave correctly.

Here's a screenshot of the reference objects in your original file (they show is 3D loci):

5a746b947e7e7_ScreenShot2018-02-02at8_35_55AM.thumb.png.21d3294ea3f43306d9e1cd2756714029.png

Here's one of the corrected file (notice the green and red lines):

5a746b9c61901_ScreenShot2018-02-02at8_36_03AM.thumb.png.6f5860c0324b800dbb3cf0b9e226c3cc.png

You should be able to selected and delete the References you no longer need and the Camera Match object should work again.

Baumann_PRO_v1_v2018-Fixed.vwx

The only thing I cannot explain is how this file got to this state. If you have other files with this issue, send them to me privately and I'll fix them.

Best regards,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Thank you so much for this feed-back and fixed file, and for the time you took to treat my question. It works very well, now ! 

I thought maybe the problem came from the model I used to create my new landscape projet files, so I created a new file based on the standard VectorWorks model. The only thing I changed in the file preferences is the units, set to meters. And the problem I had initially is still there (same message about the size of the picture, same lack of red and green panels. So if trouble is not coming from my file nor from the model, then i suppose it's due to the software itself, and you'l be quickly fed up with my sending you every file of mine for fixing... Is there any parameter I can (safely...) change by myself ?

Best regards,

Maria

SAM_5704_25_18,76.JPG

Test Camera Match sans modèle.vwx

You're welcome for the help, Maria.

Thank you for the information on how you recreated the problem in a new file. I have a few questions:

1. Judging from the class names in the document, I assume you're using a localized (non-US) version of Vectorworks? If so, what region and language?
  2. Did you create this in a new "blank" file or from a template?
  3. If you used a template, can you tell me which template you used? Was it a stock template, or one you cerated?

Thanks,

Matt

5 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

You're welcome for the help, Maria.

Thank you for the information on how you recreated the problem in a new file. I have a few questions:

1. Judging from the class names in the document, I assume you're using a localized (non-US) version of Vectorworks? If so, what region and language?
  2. Did you create this in a new "blank" file or from a template?
  3. If you used a template, can you tell me which template you used? Was it a stock template, or one you cerated?

Thanks,

Matt

1. I'm localed in France, using a French Vectorworks version.

2 & 3. I created this from a blank file (I mentioned the n my previous message, but I used the term "model" for "template", because a template is called a "modèle" in French... Sorry for this confusion)

Maria

You're welcome!

Actually, I originally thought it may be a template issue, but it would be best to first check the defaults for the Camera Match Reference plug-in object. Since I do not have a French version on hand, I'm attaching a video of how to check and set these defaults. If you're willing to try this, follow the steps in the video and tell me what the default values are for the following parameters:

• ControlPoint1X: This value should not be zero. If it is, try changing it to something reasonable (eg: 1m)
  • ControlPoint1Y: This value should be zero
  • ControlPoint2X: This value should be zero
  • ControlPoint2Y: This value should not be zero. If it is, try changing it to something reasonable (eg: 1m)

If all four of the above defaults were zero and you corrected them, try creating a new document and inserting new Reference objects. If you see the red and green axes in Top/Plan view, then the problem should not happen any longer. However, if the defaults already look correct, then I suspect it's an issue with the template file.

ScreenFlow.mp4

• PVA - Admin changed the title to Camera Match and size of background Picture

Maria,

I just got a hold of the French version plug-in and it does appear that the two 48" defaults shown on my video turned into 48\q. You could try changing them back to 48", or use 1m as I suggested. Doing this will fix the defaults for new files or files that have never had Camera Match Reference objects placed in them. NOTE: While this should fix the problem, reinstalling Vectorworks or installing an update will reset these defaults. Of course, if you install an update that has these defaults corrected, then you have nothing to worry about. :-)

I hope this helps for now!

Matt,

I followed the video step by step and indeed, both values you mentioned were set at this queer value. I created a new file on this basis, and can see the red and green axe in top/plan View. And I can see the red and green panel in the object. Great to see that it works now for any of my files.

The only thing is that when I click on the "Set View to match" button, I still get a warning message. If I click on the right Button (cf. attached file), then finally everything's OK. But maybe this is because the size of my viewport is much smaller than the size of my picture (Object). I'll have to do some extra tries on that point. 

Here's the approximative translation of this message : "The form / cut-out of the viewport doesn't match the size or the position of the back ground photo". The right button is " Re-cut out to adjust to the background picture". 

Thank you again for the fast and efficient help you provided Matt ! This Camera Match function is something I really needed. 

Maria

Capture d’écran 2018-02-05 à 20.28.19.png

You're very welcome for the help, Maria!

I'm glad you can now make good use of Camera Match!  :-)

Regarding the alert message. This is normal and happens when you change the size of the width or height of the photo image in the Camera Match object. When you first set the view and no crop (cut out) is present in the viewport, Camera Match will place one at the same size as the photo image. If you change the photo image, this dialog appears and allows you to keep the original crop or reset it to the new photo size. Clicking the right button will reset it to match the photo size. However, if you placed your own crop (to make the photo smaller, different shape, etc.), then you might want to click the left button to keep the custom crop.

-Matt