Importing DWG files at software's open

MARSAC

Question

Hi there,

After having imported some DWG files (i.e. steel profiles such as IPE,HEA, blocks of toilettes), all the times I open the file, my Vectorworks 2017 somehow re-imports all the blocks. This operation takes like 5 minutes.

Does anyone know how can I delete this importing operations (but keeping the imported dog blocks in my drawing)?

Thank you very much.

Screen Shot 2017-10-24 at 9.23.22 AM.png

4 answers to this question

Did you perhaps import the dwg files as referenced drawing? Then they may be "re-imported" (i.e. the referenced file is loaded) on opening the Vectorworks file depending on reference settings..

You way want to remove the reference and then re-import the dwg files and make sure the reference option is unchecked upon import.

Unfortunately VW has no option to bind a referenced dwg file (i.e. fully import a reference afterwards and break the reference).

Hey Art V,

thank you very much for your reply, I appreciate it.

I am not sure rich kind of importing I made. I went though the command Import ---> DXF, DWG.

Please find attached the import setting window that pops up at the moment of the import.

Question. I have many imported objects, I am not sure how to chase them and remove them. any idea?

Last but not least, once imported, I always had to do Modify ---> Convert ----> Convert to polygons therefore I think that they are technically no block anymore.

Alright, I admit, I am quite lost :)

Thank you 

M

Screen Shot 2017-10-24 at 5.19.47 PM.png

In the bottom section, just above Absolute path there is the tick box for importing dwg files as a referenced file. Make sure that box is not checked/ticked and dwg files should no longer import as referenced file and then the reloading will be gone for newly imported dwg files.

If you open the Organization dialog (Tools>Organization) and then go to the last tab called "References" there you should see all dwg (and other if any) files that have been imported as referenced file.

Converting the imported dwg objects to polygons will detach the objects from the dwg file (to say it that way) but it will not break the reference. If you are sure you have converted all needed dwg items to polygons then you could simply delete the references in the Organization dialog.

You can delete the referenced files from the Organization dialog in the references tab if you want and then re-import the dwg files if necessary, with the "Reference" in the dwg/dxf import dialog unchecked.

You do need to write down which files you need to import if there are too many to remember.

Why did you have to do Convert to polygons after import?  Imported dwg items that are blocks will show up as symbols in the resource browser and you can edit those symbols if needed. If you need multiple instances of an item then it is best to keep them as symbols.

Regarding the units setting, you may want to set it to automatic unless you know in what units the dwg file was drawn. Using document units may give you incorrect scaling, though automatic may not always be able to get the units correct if they have not been specified in the dwg file.

Edited by Art V