Veiwport rendering

Has anyone noticed that the rendering quality is not as good on the sheet layer (veiwport) as it is on the design layer. This is true with all the rendering modes I have used so far. I most often use final quality renderworks and as mentioned the design layer produces a very nice rendering. I set up a veiwport and when it renders, the quality is not as good. Such as details that show up on the design layer are not on the sheet layer with the viewport. I have checked the OIP to adjust possible settings.

I hope this is something I am just not seeing or not setting correctly.

The viewport renderings also take far longer to render than design layer. The design layer will render in rather quickly while the sheet layer takes 3 to 4 times as long.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Using windows XP , VWA 11 with 640 mb ram

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello Rpb:

Viewports' rendering resolution are set by the Sheet Layer's DPI setting. This value works similarly to the DPI setting for the Render Bitmap Tool. Both of these are relative to the page dimensions, so if you type 300 DPI for the value and render and print, there will be 300 dots per inch on the printed page. If you convert the viewpor to a group, then the Object Info palette will display the pixel dimensions of the viewport as rendered.

If you do a rendering of the design layers onscreen, the resolution of this rendering is affected by the zoom, unlike the Render Bitmap and Viewport rendering which are not affected by the current zoom value. To produce equivalent design and sheet layer renderings you would have to click the View Bar's "100" button while in the design layer to set the zoom to 100%, and on the Sheet layer you would have to set the view so that the viewport looks like the design layer in the window, and set the Sheet Layer's DPI value to 72 DPI and render. If you convert the viewport to a group, and then cut and paste the bitmap to the design layer, the resolutions should look equivalent.

HTH,