3D Display of Electrical Devices

Ed Wachter

I'm attempting to "Show 3D Detail" with electrical devices e.g. outlets and switches. I'm getting rectangular cover plates to display on my interior elevation viewports but they all display as blank cover plates (no switch or plug receptacles appear). Also, I don't see any option for a horizontal orientation. Is anyone getting better results with these?

Thanks

Ed

Thanks for the file - now I see what you mean.

I thought you were having problems with your 2/3D symbols, but you're using the MEP tools. I'm not sure I can offer you much help on this.

These tools have been part of VW for ages. I take the MEP toolset to be for MEP guys (but if you are in 'pipes and wires' you'll no doubt be using one of any number of extremely competent MEP 2/3D CAD software packages). For MEP use (I'm in architecture) I can't get along with this tool set - and it would be (only slightly) better if the 3D element was editable. As its not, you (we) are stuck with 'show 3D detail' that is not at all detailed.

To retain your info (assuming you are making use of the record data) I suggest you build your own symbols with as much 3D detail as you wish and embed the 'receptacle', 'comm device', etc...that has the record and 2D info you want to retain.

Tbh, by the time you've started that process you'll be thinking about ditching the MEP object and refining your own bespoke set of symbols with attached records and any other touches that will be useful.

I use my own 2/3D symbols and add to them as required. My aim is to show 'design intent' to both client and later to the services consultant(s) who will overlay their more technical design. It would be interesting to hear from others about their use of MEP objects.