HHHHHELP!

Over the past two months I have been trying REALLY hard to get Vision (now 2018) setup for my students to use.  I have up to date Vision and VW Spotlight, An Ion console running the latest software, a huge screen monitor/tv, and a powerful windows PC to run it all on.  Currently my challenge is getting internet network into my previz suite that was not designed to have internet at all (students downloading random crap).  

Questions 

1. How do folks setup there Windows machines to run a internet connection along with a hardwire connection to their console?
  2. The tutorials on the Vision site are abysmal.  Has anyone successfully connected an ION to a windows pc with Vision?  If you wouldn't mind sharing your knowledge, I would be forever grateful.  When I get up and running, I am going to create one to upload.
  3. Vectorworks needs to spend some time creating cool materials for Vision as they do for Spotlight or this product is going to wither on the vine.  That is not acceptable as I have invested a TON of money in making this work.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Pat Immel

Guest Beckstorm

Pat,

So for number 1, I would use sACN.  This uses IPV6 so you usually don't have to set a static IP address on your computer. This makes it easy to just switch your ethernet cable.   For issues 2, I would reach out to tech support @Edward Josephmight be able to help, we have set up the ION on windows computers before.  For number 3, we are always looking for items to add and welcome input to help us prioritize development.  Just let us know in the wishlist section on the forums.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 hour ago, td4stage said:
  1. How do folks setup there Windows machines to run a internet connection along with a hardwire connection to their console?
  2. The tutorials on the Vision site are abysmal.  Has anyone successfully connected an ION to a windows pc with Vision?  If you wouldn't mind sharing your knowledge, I would be forever grateful.  When I get up and running, I am going to create one to upload.
  3. Vectorworks needs to spend some time creating cool materials for Vision as they do for Spotlight or this product is going to wither on the vine.  That is not acceptable as I have invested a TON of money in making this work.

Pat, I'll address your questions one at a time. 

1. This would be utilizing a network switch or "hub" if you will. I would direct this question to your IT department, as the last time I was teaching a university course, everything was permanently wired to a switch hidden in some mystery room somewhere. 

2. We have a great number of users that have Ion consoles, mostly universities. The DMX connectivity article is verbose, erring on the side of too long, so we could cover every possible step. Essentially the process simplified is this: plug your console and all computers into a network switch. make sure your console and computer ip addresses are in the same subnet (the first 3 numbers are the same). Then send artnet or sACN from the console. From Vision, select DMX>Change DMX provider>Artnet/sACN(whichever you are sending).
3. I definitely can't speak to the marketing efforts. I Have my hands a bit full on the support and development side of things but I will forward your concerns to the marketing team. 

So for the network question...I really don't need internet other than just to get VW activated.  I followed the DMX connectivity article, but now when I plug in my internet network cable I don't get anything as the computer is setup for the lighting network.  Is there anyway to activate VW without the internet?!

Hopefully this makes sense.

Pat

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Ah, I see what's going on now. Setting your ip address jumped you off your university network. Are you using a Vectorworks network license with the dongle? Or is this a standard edu license? 

if you don't have a network dongle/ license server (usually for a whole lab) then the easiest way is to write your network info down (IP address/ subnet mask/default gateway) that you set up with the tutorial for the PC. Then switch your IPv4 settings back to obtain an IP address automatically. Then activate Vectorworks, then switch it back to "use the following IP address" and enter in your info you wrote down. 

Once activated, VW should stay activated without any issues. 

NOTE: I am assuming your educational institution is doing what every other one I've worked with is in that they are using your network as a training network, which is why you have things like IP-locked services (can't access the internet without being on a certain IP address, etc). I would find the nearest IT person, and show them my reply here, or the whole thread, and save yourself a ton of headache. Without directly accessing your school's network, I don't know how it's set up, and very rarely, do instructors either haha.