Importing dwg files

When you import them, make sure you are selecting the correct units. Also, you may want to check your layer scale. If it's too small, change it to a larger size.

Hey Tiggles, It's the weekend, lighten up! First of all, I went to the site you reference & found no mention of VectorWorks compatibility. Second, what do you mean by 'really really small'? have you tried to change the scale of the layer you are importing to? How about changing the scale of each symbol with the SCALE OBJECTS command? Third. what specific types of symbols do you need? Have you searched through the OBJECT LIBRARIES that are included with VW's? You may find what you need...

Peter Cipes

Ashland, Oregon

Thanks for your replies - sadly I have been working all weekend... I'm after a 6 burner cooker symbol which vectorworks 10.5 doesn't have (as far as I can see). I realised though that the files on the site are in inches so that helped resolved the scale issue. However, can't use any of the cooker symbols which I desperately need, they appear like pin pricks. Will try the scale objects though - have never used that one.

Tiggles, I know this isn't exactly what you need, but if you look in OBJECT LIBRARIES>RESIDENTIAL APPLIANCES you'll find two 36" cook tops. Although neither is a 6 burner, they are at least the correct size. It is REALLY easy to edit the existing symbols, just put one in your drawing then double click it. If you select one of the 'burners" you'll see it is just an extrude. You can duplical it and then move it (and the other components) as needed. Then click "DONE" (or "EXIT SYMBOL"?) to return to the drawing. I think you'll be able to figure it out from there. Good Luck!

Peter

Tiggles,

I didn't mean using scale objects, I was referring to the layer scale. It sounds like the layer scale is so small, a 36" stove is going to appear small on the screen.

Set the view to 100%, and set your layer scale to 1/4" or lower (1:48)

The layer scale is 1:50. The other symbols are fine - it's just the cookers which appear to be rather crazy. I eventually managed to scale the symbol but moving it around the drawing was tedious as it had a huge marquee round it. I'm really surprised that Vectorworks has no 6 burner 3D symbols.

It sounds like there is a locus point inside of the symbol that you can't see, or some other sort of object.

Edit the symbol and select all, then do a fit to objects. You'll probably see an object floating out in space somewhere.