3D Modeling Trees / Roots / Natural Shapes

Hi folks, 

Apologies if this discussion has happened before. I did a few searches on the forum and couldn't locate anything relevant to my specific question, though if it exists, please point me in the correct direction! 

I'm a production designer, and am looking to create a 3-Dimensional "tree", if you will. It's sort of a spiral staircase that has been melded into a large tree trunk. My question is, what is the best way to learn how to do this? I consider myself proficient at 3D drafting and modeling, but not with organic shapes. When it comes to modeling a wall, a desk, or a crate, I can do it (notice these are all "square-ish" things) but when it comes to complex geometry and curves and rounded edges - especially creating large roots that may snake around the floor - I haven't the foggiest idea of where to start, or what tools I'd use. 

Are there perhaps tutorials or walk throughs that anyone could think of in regards to this? I've watched hours and hours of content on YouTube and haven't yet found anything that it very helpful to this specific task. Any help at all is much appreciated. 

Many thanks!

• Like 1

You can either play with the NURBS tools, maybe even the SubD's (above a simple Geometry)

or simply import a suitable tree from Google's 3D warehouse and import by SketchUp file

and adapt the mesh to your needs.

I would say you can model everything in VW, it depends in how much work, flexibility for

adaptions and variation it will need and how much fun it makes over other Apps or their

plugins optimized for free for modeling.

As for the VW related tutorial videos, some NURBS tools explaining videos can especially

be found on "Vectorworks Deutsch" video channel (unfortunately in german only).

The international SubD videos may give an idea of possible workflows.

And even Rhino videos, which seems like the most appropriate App, or Modo videos may,

with the abstraction thought to VW possibilities and tool's knowledge in the back of

your mind, may offer some potential VW workflows.

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1

Good advice from Zoomer.

I take from your question that this is for actors to step up to a higher level so a (working) circular staircase is a prerequisite of the design (it is in most modern goblin homes these days) so start with a usable bare bones staircase and dress it.

Vectorworks provides a good start in the use of the Drape command. With some tweaking youl'll create the main trunk (which you can see may need a little cleaning up) and can then follow Zoomers advice to create Nurbs branches and roots. 

599d571a656bd_TreeDrape.png.5b622d4ea024da44e7d33ed74f2f46a4.png

Additionally, and assuming you are going to render the finished scene. Because this organic centrepiece will most likely add quite a lot to file size, try to keep things fairly simple and don't underestimate the power of well designed and applied bump maps to give a convincing appearance to the bark etc. without feeling you have to model every last shred.

Hope it goes well - Post the finished render!

• Like 1

But you can start with a standard SubD Cylinder,

Add needed subdivision edges,

manipulate the form to your liking,

convert a copy to generic solid,

use shell solid tool with a suitable thickness,

select upper and lower cap faces, accept,

Use Bump and or Displacement Material for Rendering.

Screenshot-15.jpg.427190c5efd1fabb08f6216e0c968b14.jpg

• Like 1