placing a pipe in space ( workflow )

Hi @ all,

I think this is a simple thing, but cant find a quick solution:

I have two points in space (x,y,z) let's say (8,3,-4) and (12,-5,-5).

The distance btween these points is 9 (= square root of (-4² + 8² + 1²))

Now I want to do the following:

- set two loci for the points

- create a pipe symbol of length 9

What is the quickest way to place the symbol between the two points ?

Hi Halfcouple,

If I understand your query correctly you wish to create a symbol between the 3d loci. I think this is best with Extrude Along Path. Someone else will perhaps jump in with a better way.

Place the two loci in space using the xyz's for the two distinct positions you require.

Now draw a NURBS (straight) line between the two points.

Now draw a circle of required diameter - this will be your pipe. If you wish the final graphic to be more 'pipe-like' you might want to draw another circle on top and smaller to represent the correct internal dia and now Modify>Clip Surface. You now have either a full circle or, if you've chosen to, a 'sectional' pipe.

Now highlight both the circle (however you've decided to draw it) and the line and choose Model>Extrude Along Path. The dialogue box wants you to confirm which of the two will be considered the 'path' - adjust if necessary so the NURBS line is the one highlighted in red.

OK to that.

You now have a 'pipe' drawn accurately between the two loci and you could now turn this into a 3D symbol for later use. If you want to save as a symbol it is a good idea to include the loci as part of the geometry.

Hope this helps

Thanks, Gadzooks, but extruding along path is not what I want. The "pipe-symbol" stands for a more or less complex structure that has two handles which have to be oriented between two points in space. Placing should somhow work like the 2D rotation tool in 3D, but VW has no tool for this. The only thing that seems to work is using the 2D rotation tool in 2 dimensions on a working plane perpendicular to the line between the points. But thats quite a lot of steps. I'm looking for some way to grab the pipe at one end, push it to the first point, fix it there and then push the other end in place...

thanks anyway :)

the workflow I have at the moment is:

1- draw a nurbs line between the two two points in space

2- set working plane perpendicular to the first of the two points, the y'-axis of the working plane will then point to the second point.

3- change to top view of the working plane

4- insert the (pipe)symbol parallel to working plane, and parallel to x' axis of working plane

5- move the (pipe)symbol to the origin of the working plane

6- change to front view of working plane

7- make 2D rotation around y' axis of working plane to z' axis with leaving the symbol at the origin

that's a quite lot of steps for a simple thing,- maybe anyone here has a shorter way ?