SLOW RENDERS

There are two main areas that affect rendering speed:

1) HARDWARE: processor type and speed (I found my G4 too slow, and my G5 1.8 dual is adequate); RAM - get as much as you can - max it out; VIDEO CARD - some are better than others.

2) WHAT YOU ARE RENDERING: all these things will slow rendering down: complex 3d shapes, textures, shadows, etc. Additionally, "RenderWorks" rendering takes substantially longer than "open GL"." Final Shaded Polygon" takes a long time too!

My advice: If you are going to be doing a lot of intensive rendering and if you can afford it BUY A NEW G5! If you cannot, you should try to simplify what you render - use colors instead of textures wherever you can get away with it, do not use multiple shadow-producing light sources (use one!).

Good Luck!

Peter Cipes

Reflectivity and Transparency are huge memory hogs and will slow you down substantially, so will multiple light sources. If you can minimize these things your rendering should be somewhat faster,

but, the thing to remember is, raytrace rendering is slow. It's the nature of the beast. A faster processor would be the only way to quarentee a speed improvment. More ram may help a little, and with Raytrace rendering in RW the Vidio card really dosent matter much.

Good Luck