OpenGL - why do 2D Lines look much better Than 3D ?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

They're controlled differently. Currently OpenGL edges control their thickness relative to the monitor's DPI and are designed to keep speed as a priority.

2D geometry drawn in OpenGL is handled differently, it looks nicer but is slower. This is part of the "OpenGL as a presentation view VS a working view" issue we were discussing in another thread.

Indeed, 2D references files in a 3D view will slow OpenGL down.

So will the 2D acceleration in VW 2017 will make 2D lines look like OpenGl edges ?

Or could there be a slider in VW prefs to increase monitor DPI (fake) setting to

improve the look as long as the GPU can bear it ?

The major changes in the VGM for 2017 are primarily for Top/Plan speed, I do not think they affect 3D performance.

Well you can increase the scaling of OpenGL lines with the Thickness setting, but no just a DPI slider would not help, they are processed by two different modules. You'll notice that you can alter the line weight of something like a Rectangle in OpenGL and see it's thickness change (Only when Zoom Line Thickness is enabled, I think) but if you change the line weight for something like an Extrude, the edges do not change in size.

There might be more control possible once/if these display systems are ever merged, but I am not familiar enough with the inner workings to speak intelligently on it.

• Like 1
The major changes in the VGM for 2017 are primarily for Top/Plan speed, I do not think they affect 3D performance.

With apologies for emotionality & for veering away from the specific topic, I for one can hardly wait to see the improvements in VW2017.

Though I'm sure there will be various new features, perhaps even some I will use, I would be perfectly happy this year with a release that had *nothing* but refinements, speed improvements, and bug fixes.

Its pretty loaded with reengineering and upgrades of older feature sets this year as well as quite a few bugfixes. I'll be posting the insanely-detailed-list-of-everything once it rolls out, the new feature videos and images are only covering maybe half the features at most. The little ones don't get much fanfare but sometimes are the most important.

Oh, I thought 2D would be 2D no matter which plane it is displayed.

With apologies for emotionality & for veering away from the specific topic,

That is never a problem in my threads, your welcome.

Well "2D Objects" and Top/Plan aren't exactly the same thing, there is still a separation which is why there are so many strange things encountered when working with Layer/Screen planes. Eventually it will all be handled by the same system.

• Like 1