Create a Report that Counts lights in a space

Pretty simple task here I think, but not to sure about the workflow. Ive figured out how to create and attach records to objects or symbols (I think).

Looking to create a space and put either objects or symbols into this space with a record format, then create a report that lists how many lights are in that particular space.

My report would list each space, and then the number of and type of light or object. I feel like this should be easy but when creating the report Im at a loss for how to get the report to find a space and then give info on the records with objects in the space?

Just trying to explore new features that may be useful down the road with a simple test first.

You can create your own (worksheet) script, that compares your object/symbol location with the space boundary and saves the space room name in the record you provide.

If it's only symbols, try the SymbolObject which automatically registers the space it is in and saves the room building, room name and room number into a field.

These fields can be used to create detailed worksheets as you require.

Edited by Hippocode

I have little to no knowledge on scripting. It seems strange to me that such a simple task would require scripting? We are designers not coders?

My hope was I could create a report and just ask it to list object in its space in the create report dialog box with that criteria. Sounds like there is no way to do this unless you know scripting or want to slap down 400 on an extension package?

I see. I must have misread, as the smaller extension seems reasonable. It looks like a nice add on. I've been in on the marionette training as well tho Im struggling to see how it can be useful for our office in a specific application. It's great VW is looking to help the end user with new tools and now even some training.

I wish they did more of this with other aspects of the software such as BIM or sheet views/Modeling/drawings class/ along with layers for buildings and 3d Models. There is alot of power in that, but can also be confusing.

I've been in on the marionette training as well tho Im struggling to see how it can be useful for our office in a specific application.

Well in theory you can code this yourself as there are various ways of making this work. I'd choose a custom object based approach ( like the SymbolObject) because having to run a separate script each time you change something is just asking for errors.