Accessory move by themselves

rehandjr

I am on Windows with VW2016 latest SP, and I am having a hell of time with lighting accessories. I feel very much like a novice user with 2016, lots of bugs, and lots of changes.

I can insert an accessory on a light, and sometimes it's fine. Other times it jumps to where the unit number is on it's own.

Sometimes they stay where I put them and then I come back after making edits somewhere else in the drawing and they have moved back over the unit number. Once they have moved, they become very difficult to select, and once you do select them they can't be moved. I still have some scrollers that I can not in any way select, even to delete them.

I feel like I am missing something obvious. Any thoughts. - Robert

Those accessory symbols didn't have the record format attached (and therefore weren't recognized as accessories).

Take a look at the attached file. The accessories with the tilde (~) in the name have the correct format attached and Device Type field with the value "Accessory".

hth

mk

Edited by michaelk

Thanks, that part makes sense to me.

The part that doesn't make sense to me is that I used the accessory insert tool and the accessories were pulled from the spotlight accessory file. They had the record format, and operated as expected. Then somewhere along the way while drafting away from the symbols, when I would come back to them they had lost record format and looked like the symbols in my sample file.

So my question is, what am I doing that is causing perfectly good accessories to become non-functioning accessories.

Not sure.

You know that message that you are importing a resource that already exists in the drawing and you have an option to replace it or use the resource already in the drawing. It's possible that you imported a version of the symbols from someplace else that didn't have the record format attached and replaced the version already in the document.

I haven't done a deep dive into the cool new resource gizmo for spotlight. But I think they just come from the regular library. It's rare, but not impossible for there to be a symbol with missing record format links or geometry.

Or it could be an interweaving of parallel universes. You never know.

mk