Just switched from V12 to 2013 - have couple questions

Hello

I am new to the form, having used VW since v7 and am having couple growing pains as I adjust to 2013. Having lived through several upgrades over the years I do know that with some things 'it just takes time'. Nevertheless....

The cursor I find annoying - the white 'cross' and all the other blips etc I find distracting - any way to turn those off? A search of the forum didnt reveal anything to me.

I know I am a dinosaur when it comes to using VW - I really only use it as a 2d pencil - all 3d is done in Sketchup. I will likely have more questions as things move along and any help is much appreciated

The cursor I find annoying - the white 'cross' and all the other blips etc I find distracting - any way to turn those off? A search of the forum didnt reveal anything to me.

By 'white cross' I assume you mean the full-screen cursor; To turn that off select Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences and on the 'Interactive' tab uncheck 'Full Screen Cursor'.

Not sure what 'blips etc' is referring to, but if you mean the audio feedback: In that same Vectorworks Preferences, go to the 'Session' tab and uncheck 'Use Sound'.

In addition to this forum, there is also the application help file that might give you answers to some of your upgrade pains. You'll probably want to get to know your 'Interactive' preferences. HTH.

Thnaks Tim

Not the full screen - just the smaller white cross that appears as I hover over an object. I am aware of the interactive tab. The blips I refer to are not audio, rather the small dots that appear, presumably to indicate nearby lines or things. I dont know how to post a screen shot of what I am describing.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Sorry if I over-explain screenshot posting, just being thorough:

1) A screenshot can be taken with Command-shift-3, this will save the image to your desktop.

2) After taking the screenshot, at the bottom of the quick reply window you type in to make a text post here, click "Switch to Full Reply Screen"

3) Click "File Manager" below the reply window but above the Submit button. Select your file by clicking "Choose File"

4) Click Add File and give it a sec to upload.

5) Click Done Adding Files, then submit your post.

Thanks Jim - Funny, I belong to several online forums and the interfaces are a all bit different. Attached is my screenshot showing the white cross. When I first started using v2013 there were all kinds of things popping up cursor related which I have managed to tone down by going into "Interactive Appearance Settings" and making everything black, same as my background.

This white cross drives my nuts, fingers crossed it is removable

Unfortunately no, thats the cursor location indicator which can not be disabled, it shows in black on a normal background or in white in black background mode. There are many cursor components you can disable, but the cross is baked in.

SmartCursor cues and snap points can be disabled in Tools > SmartCursor Cues > General, the top 2 checkboxes.

The selection box and snap box can be controlled in Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Interactive , the second and third checkboxes down from the top left.

Wow, really? With all the fine tuning that has happened this is amazing to me. I paid to upgrade in, well, 2013 but never used it largely because that drove me nuts. Now I have to use it because I can no longer limp v12 along with OSX Snow leopard. I tend to fly along using CAD and this is a constant slow down for me.

Does this thing persist through the current releases of VW?

Thanks so much for your help.

Mark

Great, thanks. I do know that with any version upgrade there are growing pains for the user, that is why I resist but now am out of options I guess.

On a seperate but related note, I am thinking if I do need to go through this adjustment phase - perhaps I should start fresh and upgrade to 2016 so I dont have to go through this again in 2 years. I have contacted my local retailer to ask about costs - but I am curious about system requirements. Currently I run a macbook pro with the specs shown in the attached jpeg and on OSX 10.6.8. Can you advise if my current computer could run 2016 ok or is the fact it is already 5 years old necessitiate it be replaced? If I need to invest in more RAM, new OSX etc I am ok with that, jsut dont want to spend another 3k on a new laptop as well.

It would have to be OS X 10.9, 10.10 or 10.11 in order to run Vectorworks 2016. However from that list I cannot see the GPU (graphics card) which would be the main point in a machine's compatibility. This can be found under the Graphics/Display pane of System Information.

The RAM and CPU should be acceptable, I recommend an upgrade to 16GB of RAM but 8GB should be serviceable.