Existing/Demo/New

I often have remodel projects and I am curious how others organize their models so that you can have existing conditions, and new conditions work together in the same model. I find that if I try to keep all new and existing on one layer utilizing classes to turn on and off walls to be removed, the remaining walls do not render or look graphically correct. I put all the existing information on one layer and duplicate it, the file gets very large and modifications are not as seamless as I would like.

all comments welcome

Thanks

Chris

Hi,

I always keep the original measured drawing as a base. Then the sections of wall to be demolished I put on a Demolished layer,I actually break the section of wall to be demolished off and convert it to polygons so I am left with the remaining 3D original house and a class for demo which does not need to be 3D, then I do my new on a new layer in 3D.

Always keep the original in as a master file so if need be I can copy sections back. This master is kept as a measured drawing as a separate file

Edited by Alan Woodwell

Thanks Allen

I utilize a similar work method when I get closer to producing my final set of CDs. I am wondering if there is a way to set up a model so that when I have several design ideas I am presenting to a client it can all be done with the least amount of fuss.

I guess if you have different options you could use different classes and used saved views to switch between the options.

If more complexed you could utilize the Xref viewport and have options in another drawing and place a 3d xref viewport in your final. the viewport can be on different classes, option a,b c etc and switch between the class of the viewport all the new design swaps.

This is pretty easy and swaps in and out whole drawings into one master.