Matterport

matterport.com

Does anyone have hands on with this product and integrating it with VW? I've just started exploring it online and am still learning details. It exports in obj format and after converting to dxf, you end up with a skinned mesh which doesn't really appear to be useful in VW. Will the new modeling features in '16 make this a more viable product to integrate into a VW workflow?

You can download a sample scan in obj format here: http://matterport.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/GoldenGateVisitorsCenter.zip

I don't have any experience with that product nor do I know if any of the announced new features in Vw2016 will make working with a meshed object any more useful BUT take a look at this open-source application called CloudCompare. It can import an .OBJ from Matterport and easily convert it to a 3d Point Cloud, which definitely should be much more usable in Vw2016. (It also appears to have many other useful features that will be handy when working with and converting 3d point clouds for use in Vw).

BTW I opened up Matterport's 'Golden Gate Visitor Center' .OBJ sample in CloudCompare, and frankly, the quality of the mesh is not that great. It 'looks' ok, but I wouldn't want to build a 3d model off of it. The tables, light fixtures, flat surfaces, etc have some random displacement noise that makes them not flat. Converting the mesh to a subsampled 3d point cloud and filtering out some of the noise might make it more usable.

On a related side note — I've been looking for photogrammetry software similar to Matterport (without its $4500 specialized camera and monthly fee) and I found Agisoft Photoscan Standard and VisualSFM. Both can create 3d Point Clouds from photos taken with a consumer-level digital SLR. I'm hoping that one of them will be good enough to create point clouds for Vw2016.

HTH.