View Boundary in 3D

Kizza

I'm sure this has been asked for before, so here goes:

Is it possible to set a view boundary in 3D views, similar to say a viewport crop, in order to redude the amount of zooming and panning when going from top/plan to left iso, then back to top/plan?

An example:

I have a design layer which contain different 2D sketches of a design and 3D roofs for each design. I pan and zoom to the 3D roof I want to view in 3D. I then select left iso, then pan and zoom to the same roof design. I check the roof, then want to go back to top/plan to edit the roof. I then have to pan and zoom to find the roof again.

It gets worse when you have a site set to real world elevations as the view changes almost always incorporate Z=0.

I have Centre on objects after view change checked.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Clip Cube can do this if I understand the request, let you focus on an area and not show objects outside of that area in 3D without having to mess with class or layer settings. It will also save into saved views so that you can mark off various different 3D areas to be displayed in each one, but that may not have been included until Vectorworks 2013 or 2014.

http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2015/NNA/eng/index.htm#t=VW2015_Guide%2FViews%2FViewing_a_Model_with_the_Clip_Cube.htm

Zoomer's suggestion of having an object selected when changing views seems to do the trick.

Basically I would like the ability to define a view within a bounding box (much like a viewport crop) only it works in all the 3D views (i.e. left iso, front, back etc), so that when I'm switching back and forth between a top/plan and a 3D view during design development, I'm not zooming and panning repetitiously.

The clip cube may do it but so would multiple views/windows on one display.

My 2015 demo only lasted a month....