New viewport is not selectable.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The viewport is being created in the None class, which in this file is turned off. (So the bug may actually be that you are able to see the viewport at all in the first place, rather than its selectability being a problem.)

If you enable the None class, then try creating new viewports, do they work as expected?

I can submit that as a request if you like, normally class settings should be left as you set them. However, there are instances that warn you about geometry being hidden in disabled classes, this is definitely a case where such a warning should appear.

Jim,

Thanks for submitting this request. It's really odd behavior. If the none class if off when the viewport is created, then the none class is off the first time the viewport shows, and that's why the viewport is not selectable, even though it can be seen. Go away and return to the viewport, and then the none class is turned on and the viewport is selectable.

I'm currently using VW 2014 and I have the same issue.

But my question is : why does the new viewports are now created in the None class ?

I recently switched from the 2009 version to the 2014 and back then, when we created a viewport, it was directly created in the active class.

Is there a way to change that setting ? I didn't find a solution yet.

Please take note that English is not my mother tongue thus I'm sorry for any mistakes...

Confirmed, in 2009 it creates in the active class and in 2014/2015 it always creates in None.

EDIT: Looks like this was changed in 2013, users were irritated by having to keep an eye on the active class to make sure they didn't lose viewports.

The assumption being that the None class will always be one, so the viewports will not be lost. (I always advise users to leave None ON all the time, forever.)

Edited by JimW

Mike OZ wrote to me and made the same suggestion about always keeping the none class visible. Problem with that is often I option click in the Navigation palette to make all classes invisible, and then I click the one I want to see.

Knowing what is happening has solved my problem, but I really feel the correct solution is that if Vectorworks is going to put the viewport in the none class by default, then the none class should be made visible in the sheet layer by default too.