3D Modelling Confusion

POA

So this is a process question, rather than a specific issue but I will use the most recent attempt as an example.

I was trying to create a sloped ceiling following the slope of the stairs but offset 2700mm above. I really couldn't figure out how to get either a slab or wall element to do what I needed (by drawing them and attempting to use 3d-reshape), so I decided I would model the ceiling using the 3D modelling tools.

To do this I used the clip cube to create a 3d section through the stairs, set the back wall to be the working plane and started to draw.

This is where I got stuck, I wanted to draw a line along the top of the stair risers and move it up 2700mm as a guide for the ceiling line but I couldn't get it to snap to the wall/stair junction.

How do I do this, what is the recommended process for using existing elements as guides to model accurately. I have had similar problems in other situations and being a sketch up user Im used to this being a pretty simple operation :S

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Are you drawing in Open GL on?

If so the issue/feature you're experiencing is the Occluded Snapping - which limits the number of snap points - theoretically to those on front/ visible faces.

You can turn this off completely VW>Preferences>3d>Use occluded selection & snapping or momentarily disable it by invoking the x-ray mode (b key) and snap to the required points.

Make sure your not drawing in Screen Plane.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It is used for placing things on physical surfaces. If you were fleshing out the detail objects in a room or doing interior work, before Occluded Snapping it was easy to place bowls and chairs and things accidentally halfway into a table or through a wall without noticing, this option prevents that but wouldn't be useful when doing what you describe in the original post.