Speed Test 2015 & 2014 Section VPs

http://youtu.be/GjzE0wvMaSM

testing section viewports. i was told that the 64 bit is not faster but that it has more "horse power" i.e. crash less.

maybe someone can explain what exactly the 64 bit does.

the file show was done way back with vw2011 and was the first time i tried to make 3inch details with the model (you can see the 2d overlay before rendering) it was a screened porch with a fire place and there was no use for the wall tool, door tool or another parametric tool. it was all custom modeled. at any rate it was a very "heavy" file and was the bane of the office at the time. hardware has gotten faster so things are better now.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The most obvious area you would notice a difference with 64bit is when the 32bit version failed completely, crashed or hit an Out of Memory error. The "horsepower" comes from its ability to continue through a task and then complete it, regardless of complexity or the resources it requires.

The thing is, direct comparisons between versions are hard to do since there are so many tiny little changes between them. For instance 2015 is now 64bit, but it has also had a lot of its components rewritten in Cocoa, so it is actually slightly easier for the same hardware to do the same job in tiny portions of a file, individually you may never see these but overall it can shave seconds off of every few dozen actions, so it becomes noticeable.

(It can also go the other way and become slower in a new version, but those are known as regressions and are unintentional.)