Walls and spaces in symbols

jchan

Dear all,

I use an old version of Vectorworks for years. Now I jumped to the latest version. It seems there is a big jump to 2014, specially using new tool for BIM.

After 2 days training on VW, there are lots of things need to pickup , e.g. storey, space, detail viewports etc.

I am really confusing about the use of symbols. Back to the old day, I would create symbols if the objects I will use more than 2 times, for example doors , windows, units , furnitures etc. Now everything bound to the storey/elevation. So does it mean that we need to draw everything as loose objects and then use the eye drop tool to copy the properties. It would be hard for a large project got lots of repetitive objects like doors/windows/unit types

One more thing I would like to confirm. On design layers, we only do the model. All the annotation/dimension we will put it in a viewport. Right?

Any one has any good example to share? The drawings from the official web-site doesn't tell that much about the details.

Thanks in advanced.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Symbols can still be used, they would just reside on their layer heights, not be bound to story heights.

One more thing I would like to confirm. On design layers, we only do the model. All the annotation/dimension we will put it in a viewport. Right

In most situations, yes.

Have you gone through the Getting Started Guides yet?

http://www.vectorworks.net/training/getting-started-guides/

Just a heads up: many door and window settings can now be changed even with multiple objects selected......you can use the Select Similar Tool or Custom Selection command to select doors and windows with specific characteristics.

(I don't like using symbols for doors and windows because it prevents the use of certain settings that I need regularly.) There have been several wish list posts asking for a way to save door/window types/settings in a more usable way than through symbols, again we'll wait and see if they have gotten around to it.)

Edited by Vincent C