Counting Symbols

Hi all,

I know similar things have been covered, but i have not been able to find the answer i need.

I would like to be able to count the number of instances of a certain symbol in a large complex file. When i use Tool/Create Report it gives me a total number for all symbols not the number of each type of symbol.

How can i generate this info without adding record information to each symbol?

The only way i have found is by custom selection each type but this is very time consuming when there are so many different symbol types.

Many thanks!

Nick

Edited by nick lawrence
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You're almost there. In the database header row for that worksheet (Usually just the whole number, as in "2", not "2.1", "2.2" etc) right click or control click on the row number, then choose Set Criteria.

You should only need to add one set of criteria to accomplish this, Symbol - Is - (Symbol name). You can click the small button to the right of the last field to select from a list of symbol names.

The worksheet should then only be displaying the symbols that share the same name.

This series covers worksheets in more detail if you want to have a look:

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Nick,

The easiest way to get what you need is to create the report as you describe, then summarize the Symbol Name column (you can also sort it as well). The worksheet will still display all symbol instances in the document, but it will list each symbol only once and will sum the quantities.

This link describes how to do it:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/465/Different+ways+to+organize+column+data+in+a+worksheet