Use Mac Notification Centre

Kevin McAllister

Question

The Rhino beta for Mac has a great feature - it uses Mac notification centre to notify you if a task is completed if you've switched out of Rhino to do something else while a computation heavy task is completed.

It would be nice if VW was smart enough to do the same. I often read emails and other tasks while waiting for Viewports to render or Auto Hybrids to regenerate. Rather than clicking back on VW to see if its still hanging I would love it to tell me when its done.

(We've requested progress bars in the dock icon in the past. VW never caught up to that technology either.)

Kevin

1 answer to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Beat you to it on this one! However I will add this post to the request.

Since its so hard (i.e. not possible) to predict rendering or complex file operation times, I put in a request for some kind of notification system for the user. Locally sure, but something that could notify the user directly like an SMS or an email. Mainly so users didn't have to sit and babysit a rendering to jump back to work the moment it was done.

Sort of a callback system rather than keeping the user on hold indefinitely.

If they were able to integrate an OS X Notifications system though, there are many ways of pushing those notifications to a mobile device, so that would solve it as well.