solar animation: saving stills

I've discovered the Solar Animation tool and made a couple of Quicktime movies as a shadowing study to support a planning application. I don't really want to send the planning dept the full movie, I would prefer to either edit it to contain just the two hour time duration that I need, or to be able to extract still frames. At the moment I have taken screenshots which are ok, but a higher resolution would be great. I've tried iMovie but it seems a bit complex. Any ideas? Thanks

Edited by Cadplan
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If you just want stills, I would recommend simply setting the heliodon to the date/time you want the still of, rendering, then using Export Image (usually PNG is a good format choice since you can alter the DPI, unlike the default JPEG mode) to get the single frame.

You can save multiple heliodons each in their own class, then turn off all but one of the heliodon classes to take each still, so that you can set up the different date/time combos ahead of time, then do an export for each frame you needed whenever you needed it.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I don't think the heliodon was available in 2011. Time for an upgrade...

I think the best you can do with 2011 is use the Set Sun Position command and do image exports or edit the movie from Solar Animation.