Implementing Infrastructure for Vectorworks

I am in charge of implementing the infrastructure for VW within our firm. We are shifting towards BIM, and need a program that pushes out CDs fast.

My concerns are:

1) Large projects will require multiple people working on them. Referencing files seem to be our only option to make this work,

but this complicates the process, and makes the many things like door schedules useless because the model gets split up. What is the best way to split up large models in Vectorworks while still getting good use of BIM features?

2) Sections. Sections don't have good line weights There is no difference between elevation vs section line weights, meaning adding 2D info to make the sections look good. Is there a good solution to cutting sections without drawing correct line weights?

My thoughts

1) Large projects will require multiple people working on them. Referencing files seem to be our only option to make this work,

but this complicates the process, and makes the many things like door schedules useless because the model gets split up. What is the best way to split up large models in Vectorworks while still getting good use of BIM features?

We usually don't break up the 3D geometry on our files. We use maybe 3 files or so depending on the job:

1) geometry in one file all on design layers

2) another with DLVP references, sheet layers of floor plans , elevations, sections, etc.

3) another with DLVP references, sheet layers of Perspectives, vignettes.

If I where to break up the 3D geometry file, data file, into several, I would recommend 1 base file where all the symbols are kept, as well as all classes, and reference classes and symbols from this base file into the several files. I would then use a break down of varies files depending on how many sheets of what data, and who is working on the file.

2) Sections. Sections don't have good line weights There is no difference between elevation vs section line weights, meaning adding 2D info to make the sections look good. Is there a good solution to cutting sections without drawing correct line weights?

I agree, elevations and sections need better line weight control. The answer to this one is unfortunately no good way.

The best method I have found is to use the thinest line weight for the section/elevation render, then create several classes on which to place the darker line weights and draw as an annotation overtop ie

1) Elevation-LW 05

2) Elevation-LW 10

3) Elevation-LW 20

etc.....

I've been experimenting with flattened sections via the new viewport from clip cube function. I haven't had a lot of time to play around but its been promising. The main difference between these and other forms seems to be in two areas.

First is drawing annotations in a real design layer rather than on a sheet annotation layer. Now you can work with the underlying viewport (copy to lines), use saved views and other class based tools. In short it's just regular drawing.

Second is the clip cube function itself. Because you can move to it or "unflatten" the viewport you can work on objects that are currently cut. It's almost a live true live section.

I'm sure there are some hidden issues but new tools bring more choices.