SETUP ASSISTANT

The layers and classes are things you create. You can assign different attributes to the classes. You can also assign different layer scales - 1:48 for example to layers.

Go to the Organize Menu - select Layers... to change the layer scale.

If you are looking for using a template file- you need to do that when creating the file.

Go to File>New - Create new document from Template and then select one of the template files from the drop down box.

The Setup Assistant needs the VA Setup Assistant.sta file to run, giving you many of the standard layers and sheets already created for you.

HI KATIE,

THANKS FOR THE RESPONCE.

"The Setup Assistant needs the VA Setup Assistant.sta file to run, giving you many of the standard layers and sheets already created for you."

I WOULD LIKE TO USE THE LAYERS & CLASSES FROM THE AIA_Architectural STANDARD, IN THE SETUP ASSISTANT. SO THE PROGRAM SETS UP THE SHEETS USING THE AIA_Architectural LAYERS & CLASSES.

THANKS,

CHRIS

I USE SETUP ASSISTANT ALL THE TIME.

"The sheets for a

project are built automatically by the Setup Assistant from the 54 available sheet types."

"This is based on the model file and sheet file structure of the AIA layer standards."

I DO THE FOLLOWING STEPS.

1. From the File menu, select New.

2. Click Use Document Template. Select the VA Setup Assistant.sta

template from the pulldown menu.

3. Click OK.

A template file designed to work with the Setup Assistant opens.

4. From the File menu, select Setup Assistant.

AFTER I FINISH THE SETUP ASSISTANT. I HAVE A DRAWING FILE WITH THE SHEETS, LAYERS (ie. Mod-Floor 1) AND CLASSES (ie. Wall-Int). SET UP FOR YOU.

I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THE LAYERS (ie.A-ELEV) AND CLASSES (ie. A-WALL-FULL). AS IN THE AIA layer standards.

I had the same conceptual problem when I first started using VW several years ago. I came from the Auotocad world where layers are assigned (usually) your AIA names (A-WALL-FULL, etc.). VW has more options because it uses layers (as in floor levels), and classes (which can be controlled at ALL layers).

If you start changing layer names in VW as you describe, you will short circuit the functionality of the program (how do you attach "Z" and "delta Z" info to A-WALL layer, for example?).

The way we have resolved this issue, since we occasionally transmit DWG files to consultants who use Autocad), is assign the AIA names to the classes. In this way, all walls can be A-WALL, doors A-DOOR, etc., but the floor levels still relate the the layer they are drawn on. It is very flexible when exporting DWG files, as well. I hope this helps you understand the concept....

I WANTED "SETUP ASSISTANT" TO CREATE THE AIA STANDARD LAYERS AMD CLASSES (ie.A-WALL-FULL) FOR ME.

THE PROBLEM STARTED WITH THE UPDATE FROM VWA8.5 TO VWA 9.

THE SETUP ASSISTANT WOULD CREATE THE LAYERS AND CLASSES (ie.Door-Main)FROM THE "AEC_LAYERS AND CLASSES STANDARD TEMPLATE."

BUT WHEN I TRIED TO ADD A CLASS VA9 DID NOT HAVE THE "AEC_LAYERS AND CLASSES STANDARD TEMPLATE."

SO I COPIED THE "AEC_LAYERS AND CLASSES STANDARD TEMPLATE." FILE TO VA9 STANDARD FOLDER.

NOW I AM WORKING AS A CONSULTANT, WITH ARCHITECTS WHO USES THE AIA LAYER STANDARD.

I WOULD HATE TO HAVE TO CREATE THE LAYERS FROM START. I HAVE NOT DONE THIS FOR SOME TIME "SINCE SETUP ASSISTANT WAS INTRODUCED"

So, all you are looking for is the name of the layer to say xyz ?

You can change the name of a layer thru the layers setup dialog box. You also set the scale for that layer in the same box, or you can use the "All Layers" checkmark box to have the same layer scale for all the layers.

If you are exporting to other architects, I would use AIA names for classes only, and export as classes. I know you can change the class names manually through the class dialog box. I belive you can change the names of the default class for objects through the edit plug-in dialog box. I would'nt worry about the layer names, though, unless you have an office standard for layer names (ours reflects the type of info on each building level such as 6-WALL-1, which is new construction-6- drawings info-WALL- floor level-1-).

I am not sure if there is a way to globally set up the class names during setup assistant, which I think is what you want to do. Katie....?

I KNOW HOW TO SETUP AND CHANGE SCALES OF CLASSES AND LAYERS.

KATIE, THAT WAS THE ANSWER I WAS LOOKING FOR.

"change the name of the classes and layers created by the Setup Assistant."

I AM GOING TO WAIT TO UPDATE TO VWA10 IN THE NEW YEAR. I DO NOT WANT TO REPEAT, THE ERRORS OF VWA9 " WHEN THE PROGRAM CRASHED EVERY 10 MINUITES" AND TOOK UP A LOT, LOT OF MY TIME.

ALSO PAYING FOR SHIPPING FOR A UPDATE THAT DID NOT WORK. (VWA 9.1 OF SOMETHING)

I FELL THAT I AM OWED MY TIME AND PATIENCE.

ALSO THE UPDATE PRICE IS HIGH.

[Wink][Wink]

THANKS,

CHRIS T.