Auto classing of symbols??

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Yes, if you edit the symbol within the resource browser, then choose "Symbol Options", you will be able to set the desired class at the bottom.

If your symbol has a lot of sub-objects, make sure they're set to the desired class as well (they normally just match the symbol's class by default though), when you edit the 2D/3D components.

JimW,

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I did not explain myself.

To me, plumbing fixtures as an example should already be classed as such. With of course the ability to override.

Would save a lot of time.

Am I better saving these classed symbols in the favorites folder or creating folders for symbols of different classes?

In other words, Plumbing symbols folder all classed.

Electrical symbols all classed etc...

PSS Thanks for all the help you have been giving on the various forums.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

No problem!

(I think the main reason they aren't classed in some other manner by default is that there is no way to match all the standards for all the locations we release this version in. But that may not be the case, it's what I've come to assume from all the requests for different class naming structures I've heard from various users.)

However, yes, for any of the symbols that you plan to use regularly I would suggest creating your own custom resource library where you have set the classes of each symbol as desired.

Edited by JimW