I can't really find any logic behind it exporting or not:

I added a file to demonstrate:

Left symbol is IfcBoilerType

=>predefined type = STEAM

=>Pset Pset_BoilerTypeSteam

Right symbol is IfcSensorType

=>predefined type = CO2SENSOR

=>Pset Pset_SensorTypeCO2Sensor

I first thought that when there was no Pset active of the chosen predefined type it would fail, but with the above 2 objects only one succeeds.

Can anyone elaborate ?

For IFC2x3, the difference is a bit complicated. The relationship between and object (IfcColumn) and its type (IfcColumnType) is meant provide a system much like our internal symbol data structure (one definition, many instances). However, for the whole Building Services part of IFC2x3, there are inconvenient incongruities, mainly due to the proliferation of object concepts. Trying to tag a object with the appropriate IFC data, for both ends of the workflow, can be tricky. The team behind the IFC2x3 specification realized this and made significant changes for IFC4 that will benefit everyone.

In this case, I'll file a bug to see if we can address this.

I'll say this much, our focus has been on the IFC2x3 CV2.0 Certification for the architectural export requirements. It does not require support for all the possible MEP objects. That is extensively covered in the building services export requirements. Why? Because Vectorworks Architect is an architectural BIM tool, first and foremost. On the other hand, our Import effort requires us to support all objects and concepts. I believe we did and excellent job of this, with only very, very, very few exceptions or limitations.

That being said, we have worked hard over time to expand our support for other objects/concepts, but it looks like there are still some missing parts. I'll see if we can address this.

On the other hand, DDS does make a great MEP tool and they are now a Nemetschek family member...

So in other words, vectorworks can import about everything, but export mainly "architectural" tags ?

We are working on our first BIM project, engineering everything besides the building itself (ventilation, heating, electricity etc ) using our own custom objects, not vw's defaults.

I'm currently hardcoding the IfcTags in the objects but its hard to distinguish all of them when we can only use several Ifc tags which are also timeconsuming to find..

On the other hand, DDS does make a great MEP tool and they are now a Nemetschek family member...

My advice is to use Revit suite...why would anyone bother with DDS and scia is beyond me... I am not flush with funds and spare time to keep learning new software?

and my advice is to think before you post. it's a vw forum, not adesk playground, and many of us use mac.

rob