Construction Details

Hi VW users,

I feel like a newborn baby, every moment spent using Vectorworks I absorb more. However I'm stuck on something I'm not entirely getting my head around. I have a new project starting on Friday and am hoping to use VW for as much of it as possible, so I want to try and tackle this issue asap.

In my brief time looking at Revit in uni, I understood quite clearly the association between detail callout/tag and the detail drawing which had it's detail level adjusted to say:fine within the particular viewport and then extra lines/fills drawn 2d over it and labels added etc. It was fairly clear conceptually, and functionally, how to do this. I'm not so certain with VW, I've not found much information about this, a little bit in the users guide and only one example. I'm talking about things like creating a wall section, jamb details, junctions/joints, waterproofing, fixtures etc.

I should create standard viewport and then a detail sheet layer isolating the section/elevation of the model I'm dealing with, linking it with a callout on the main drawing? Then I use screen layer 2D linework/patterns etc. upon that detail viewport to complete a detail - in a similar way to Revit? I can import details like window frame section as .dwg to work into the drawing also?

I'm not sure how the 2D drawing then relates/maintains it's relationship with the detail viewport etc. Clarification or tutorials relating to this process would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by RCrussellUK
Guest Wes Gardner

Hi Russell,

Yes, you are correct in your assessment of how to set up and construct a set of drawings.

Perhaps that's one of the "dirty little secrets" of all the BIM applications - you DO need to embellish your sections and details in 2D and, as you've pointed out, this 2D line work DOES NOT coordinate with the model when changes are made. What it DOES do, when changes are made, is clearly show you that stuff has been changed/moved/etc.

Wes

Wes, what would be the best method if I want to reuse the detailing and its annotations in another file? And then if I'd like to change the details scale?

Currently I created symbols in another file and I have layers setup for each detail scale that I import into my drawings as needed. But sometimes a 3/4" detail needs to be even more detailed but I cannot just make a detail viewport of an area and change the scale as all the text is out of scale?

Sorry for the hijacked thread, I figure he'll benefit as well.

Guest Wes Gardner

Hey Patrick,

I think it's as you've discovered...there is no one method because you're combining 2D embellishment with your modeled geometry. The symbol method can get you pretty far as you know. Also in some cases, depending on the complexity of the detail vs. the complexity of the notes for that detail, you may just have to re-assign a size to the text.

Wes